NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crazy,

Do you have any knowledge to share about plugging Long Beach? This past season was my first as a serious surf fishing addict, and I spent most of it at Field 6, Cedar, and an occasional hike to Demo and Sore Thumb, as well as the Nissequogue. I enjoyed learning about the difference between open beach and inlet fishing, though I have a lot to learn about reading the beach and finding structure.

Since I come out from Queens to fish, I thought I'd get to know Long Beach, since its a little closer to home. I assume the jetties provide some good structure, but this is altogether different from Jones and Cedar. I assume casting between, but close to the jetties is a good place to start, but I'm not sure where on the island is a good place (west, east, or middle). Any feedback would be appreciated.

regards and happy new year!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
bassomatic wrote:
This past season was my first as a serious surf fishing addict, and I spent most of it at Field 6, Cedar, and an occasional hike to Demo and Sore Thumb, as well as the Nissequogue. I enjoyed learning about the difference between open beach and inlet fishing, though I have a lot to learn about reading the beach and finding structure....

Hi Bassomatic,
The following weeks there will be several shows (Nassau Coliseum and Freeport Show) which will be hosting Surf fishing seminars. These seminars will cover many local waters as well as how-to-read-the-beaches.

I strongly recommend that you attend. I will also be attending those shows - but at this time I don't know what my schedule is... If you see me, please introduce yourself and I will gladly share some of my beach knowledge with you! ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Alberto,

I plan to attend Bill Wetzel's and Rich Johnson's seminars at the LI Fishing Expo. Can you tell me more about the one in Freeport?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bassomatic, the places you've already fished are
some of the best on of the western south shore.

Long Beach and Atlantic Beach have good rock
jetties that are a perfect haven for stripers
laying in wait for a meal. These are very very
tricky to rock hop on and would suggest first
casting along the sides from the beach before
being that adventurous. The major problem that
both Long and Atlantic beach have is WEED! It's a
hit and miss with the local sea weed in this area.
Since your already from Queens it would be a big
mistake to discount the Rockaway Peninsula and the
offerings Jamaica Bay have to offer.

Hope this helps...
Bern

This message was edited by BernOC on 1-10-02 @ 9:33 PM

·
Registered
50 Posts
SpaceGh8st,
Heres some 411 on the expo...
James(BigRexInc)

9th Annual Sportfishing & Outdoor Expo
Expositions Unlimited, Inc.
January 17-20, 2002
Nassau Coliseum
Thurs. & Fri. 3-10 p.m. / Sat. 10 to 9 p.m. / Sun. 10-6 p.m.
Admission: $10 adults / $2 of on Thurs. for Seniors & kids $6
Call: 516-625-5021
http://sportshow.hypermart.net

This message was edited by BigRexInc on 1-13-02 @ 12:38 AM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.