NorEast Fishing Forum banner

Local Freeport /Baldwin/O'side Creek Flounder, Safe to Eat?

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Scalawag 
#1 ·
People are catching these fish way up north in the local creeks. Ive passed on attempting to catch any of that body of fish because I dont trust the water quality up there.
Id love to hear any opinions, safe to eat??

PS I was out yesterday tried over by the 1st Meadowbrook up towards Merrick bay in that deep water there, nothing, Sea Dog trench couple days ago, nothing not a bite. The only fish around are these local fish as far as I can tell, the way I understand it these fish stay in these creeks all year round so theyre always in this questionable waters, then other bodys of Flounder come in from the canyons, ect and tend to go to the other flounder hotspots, by Short Beach, JB fishing piers, ect..
thanks for any input, Alan

#2 ·
Good question. I'd be interested to hear some input on the safety of eating fish out of these waters as well. I've fished for Flounder at the base of Milburn creek. I never do as well as other people have reported, but I guess that's the norm. As a kid I did a good deal of crabbing in that area, even further up Milburn Creek. I ate the crabs and I'm still alive, although come to think of it, I get theses hallucinations sometimes :).

As far as fishing Merrick Bay for Flounder I usually do pretty well around the point by the houses. I try and get as close to the flats as possible and position my boat so that the current pushes the chum up onto the flats. I’m no Flounder sharpe but this technique seems to work.

Rizzilient

#4 ·
Rizz, big diff. from then & now

On my creek theres a team doing an oil spill clean up from Keyspan { I heard, not sure who's responsible}. Anyways they have those oil containment cordon off things all over , been there a month. 50 ft. towards the bay people are catchin em and keeping them , suppose eatin them too { I was shown buckets full}.
Now on Milburn theres talk of a factory or a cleaning service of some kind thats been fined recently fot illegal dumping or so I heard. Now just rain runoff, boat cleaners, gas ect.. Yuck.
THE PROBLEM IS THERE"S NO FLOW UP THERE, & IM ONLY QUESTIONING WAY UP YHE CREEK I"LL EAT ANYTHING FROM OUR BAYS ECT
It cant be much different then eating a fish out of lofts lake,
I dont know, any else care to chime in?
guess if you catch a flounder there with an eye on both sides it's head theres a problem, in all seriousness prob. can tell by examining the fish if it's healthy?
alan

#5 ·
cleaning your fish

I have read that the fat layer under the fishes skin holds a higher concentration of pollutants than the other parts of the fish that we eat. So be sure to skin your fish- dont scale it and eat or cook it with the skin on to cut down the amount of pollutants you might get from any fish.

#8 ·
I'm already a little nuts, dont need toxic fish

I'm one of the people who docks up there, I SEEEE what goes on in those waters. Second thought much of the baitfish comes from or goes up there.
If it wasnt for the fact theres been an oil spill team working my creek, I wouldnt have thought twice, I ate em last yr. but....
I'll continue to try out a bit towards the Bay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.