NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lou Dobbs alert: Illegal immigrants may get rebates

In their bipartisan zeal to quickly cut a deal on an economic stimulus bill, GOP lawmakers overlooked something that will certainly inflame the conservative base _ illegal immigrants could receive a tax rebate check from the government.

The text of the House passed bill contains language making "non resident aliens" _ illegal immigrants _ ineligible for the tax rebates. But every year, hundreds of thousands of undocumented immigrants use individual taxpayer identification numbers, known as ITINs, to file income tax returns with the IRS. These ID numbers are used instead of Social Security numbers. There are no exact statistics for how many illegal immigrants file tax returns, but this New York Times story from last year details the significant increase in use of ITINs. This story also lays out the issue.

Immigration advocates point out that many legal immigrants use ITINs, so it would be impossible to outlaw rebates for everyone who uses this form of ID in tax returns.

Republicans who were involved in negotiating the bipartisan economic stimulus package would like to avoid the illegal immigration debate as the $146 billion bill comes to the Senate this week. Congressional aides say the problem is that the IRS is not a law enforcement agency, so it doesn't check immigration status when people file tax returns.

"The reality is that those who filed a tax return will be eligible" for tax rebates of $600 to $1,200, said Sen. Ken Salazar (D-Colo.). "This [issue] has not been addressed" by the senators writing the bill.

God Bless America!!!!:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35,001 Posts
Isn't that special................they'll all be sending in phoney tax returns with bogus income numbers and get the rebates.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

........yup, got it all figured out they do........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,731 Posts
And when they get the money they will probably send it back to their home country,Just another kick in the ars for the American working men and women who work hard and pay their taxes to support this country.And how about the men an women who are putting their lives on the line to fight for out freedom are they getting a rebate I'm sure there families back home could use the money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
MACKS wrote:
And when they get the money they will probably send it back to their home country,Just another kick in the ars for the American working men and women who work hard and pay their taxes to support this country.And how about the men an women who are putting their lives on the line to fight for out freedom are they getting a rebate I'm sure there families back home could use the money.





and thats the truth,you said it all Macks
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
Well the problem is that we all talk about the problem but are we doing anything about the solutions?I work in the construction trade I met a guy who has lived here 10yrs and is illegal.He spoke very little english so I said I'm gona call Immigration.He says go ahead free ride home I'll be back in 2 weeks.I wanted to spit in he face.
Were all doomed and can only blam ourself.
Like a friend of mine say's he waiting for them all to come here then move to their country and live on the beach might be a good idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
With all the rhetoric about illegals, I often wondered, why not simply make it prohibitive to employ them. Let them come, but if employers couldn't afford the fines and penalties to hire them, they couldn't work. Here's a story about a proposal to do just that.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/suffolk/ny-liimmi0131,0,1851173.story
(link not working)?
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/suffolk/ny-liimmi0131,0,1851173.story

Would a suffolk county contractor risk losing his license for cheap labor? What if the penalty was more severe, even jail time. It's simply not feasable to deport them all, but if they couldn't work they'd leave on their own.

This post edited by Slacker 08:27 AM 01/31/2008
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,305 Posts
sparky1871 wrote:
Well the problem is that we all talk about the problem but are we doing anything about the solutions?I work in the construction trade I met a guy who has lived here 10yrs and is illegal.He spoke very little english so I said I'm gona call Immigration.He says go ahead free ride home I'll be back in 2 weeks.I wanted to spit in he face.
Were all doomed and can only blam ourself.
Like a friend of mine say's he waiting for them all to come here then move to their country and live on the beach might be a good idea.

So who is to blame. The guy who is here 10 years illegally or the contractor that employed him for the last 10 years.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
74,095 Posts
fish4me wrote:
sparky1871 wrote:
Well the problem is that we all talk about the problem but are we doing anything about the solutions?I work in the construction trade I met a guy who has lived here 10yrs and is illegal.He spoke very little english so I said I'm gona call Immigration.He says go ahead free ride home I'll be back in 2 weeks.I wanted to spit in he face.
Were all doomed and can only blam ourself.
Like a friend of mine say's he waiting for them all to come here then move to their country and live on the beach might be a good idea.

So who is to blame. The guy who is here 10 years illegally or the contractor that employed him for the last 10 years.

BOTH!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,305 Posts
MakoMike wrote:
fish4me wrote:
sparky1871 wrote:
Well the problem is that we all talk about the problem but are we doing anything about the solutions?I work in the construction trade I met a guy who has lived here 10yrs and is illegal.He spoke very little english so I said I'm gona call Immigration.He says go ahead free ride home I'll be back in 2 weeks.I wanted to spit in he face.
Were all doomed and can only blam ourself.
Like a friend of mine say's he waiting for them all to come here then move to their country and live on the beach might be a good idea.

So who is to blame. The guy who is here 10 years illegally or the contractor that employed him for the last 10 years.

BOTH!

NOPE. If they can't work, they won't stay.

Hit the employer that knowingly hires them and don't buy the "we didn't know" excuse. Every one of my employees had to fill out an I9 and provide the acceptable forms of identification BEFORE they are hired. If they cannot provide it, they do not get the job. It really is that easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,513 Posts
Until there is a system to instantly verify legit SS#s, this will continue.

False papers will get you by, for up too 6 months depending on how busy the IRS is.

Once the false numbers get rejected, they are fired, and go get more false papers with a different name.

I heard that homeland security and ICE were trying to establish an instant verification system, if they do, then I think we will see some progress.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,277 Posts
You guys make it sound like they are giving the rebates to any illegals they meet in the street.
The "illegals" getting the rebate are the ones who pay taxes. Yes Taxes, the IRS gives em a tax id even if they are illegal and collects taxes from them...with no "representaition". :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DarthBaiter wrote:
You guys make it sound like they are giving the rebates to any illegals they meet in the street.
The "illegals" getting the rebate are the ones who pay taxes. Yes Taxes, the IRS gives em a tax id even if they are illegal and collects taxes from them...with no "representaition". :rolleyes:
They may not legally be about to vote (the liberals are working on that one though) but they get plenty of representation by the schmucks down in Washington
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,536 Posts
This might help put things in perspective

My wife bought a bird feeder. I hung it in my backyard and she filled it with seed. What a beauty of a bird feeder it is, as she filled it lovingly with seed. Within a week, we had hundreds of birds taking advantage of the continuous flow of free and easily accessible food.

But then the birds started building nests in the boards of the patio, above the table, and next to the barbecue.

Then came the poop. It was everywhere: on the patio stone, the chairs, the table ...
Everywhere!

Then some of the birds turned mean. They would dive bomb us and try to peck me even though we had fed them out of my own pocket. And others birds were boisterous and loud. They sat on the feeder and squawked and screamed at all hours of the day and night and demanded that we fill it when it got low on food.

After a while, we couldn't even sit on my own back porch anymore. So we took down the bird feeder and in three days the birds were gone. We cleaned up their mess and took down the many nests they had built all over the patio. Soon, the back yard was like it used to be ... Quiet, serene and no one demanding their rights to a free meal.

Now let's see ....

Our government gives out free food, subsidized housing, free medical care, and free education and allows anyone born here to be an automatic citizen.

Then the illegals came by the tens of thousands. Suddenly, our taxes went up to pay for free services; small apartments are housing 5 families; you have to wait 6 hours to be seen by an emergency room doctor; your child's 2nd grade class is behind other schools because over half the class doesn't speak English.

Corn Flakes now come in a bilingual box; I have to 'press one' to hear my bank talk to me in English, and people waving flags other than 'Old Glory' are squawking and screaming in the streets, demanding more rights and free liberties.

Just my opinion, but maybe it's time for the government to take down the bird feeder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,513 Posts
DarthBaiter wrote:
You guys make it sound like they are giving the rebates to any illegals they meet in the street.
The "illegals" getting the rebate are the ones who pay taxes. Yes Taxes, the IRS gives em a tax id even if they are illegal and collects taxes from them...with no "representaition". :rolleyes:

Not taking sides on this one, but he is absolutely correct.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,277 Posts
Scott1280 wrote:
DarthBaiter wrote:
You guys make it sound like they are giving the rebates to any illegals they meet in the street.
The "illegals" getting the rebate are the ones who pay taxes. Yes Taxes, the IRS gives em a tax id even if they are illegal and collects taxes from them...with no "representaition". :rolleyes:
They may not legally be about to vote (the liberals are working on that one though) but they get plenty of representation by the schmucks down in Washington

So, you willing to give up your right to vote if some shcmuck represents yuou in DC?

Welcome to the new millennium witch hunt. What ever happened to the drug dealer witch hunt? Is that hunt over? How about some of these politicians try and finish one witch hunt before they start another one.

And please...$1500, that's not even a weeks pay for me. Bush can take my "allowance" and add it to the national deficit. Economy stimulus package...please...are we so dumb that we are gonna see this as a big help for the economy. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,288 Posts
Just think of all the stolen Id's that these people have....Now the employer pays the tax and the worker never files
....Where does all that money go ? Now I am switching sides...I will be a democrat and get as much as I can from everybody I can before there is nothing left.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
Todays Newsday

Suffolk immigration law catches just 1 contractor
BY REID J. EPSTEIN | [email protected]
January 31, 2008
Article tools
E-mail Share
Digg Del.icio.us Facebook Fark Google Newsvine Reddit Yahoo Print Reprints Text size: Since Suffolk legislators enacted a law requiring county contractors to verify their employees are of legal working status in 2006, only one business has been fined, County Executive Steve Levy said yesterday.

North Star Concrete, which lists a Farmingville post office box on its Web site, was fined $9,500 in November after the company could not produce legal employment documents for one of its employees working at the county's fire academy, Levy said.

The company's Web site lists brothers Mario and Abilio Salgado as its owners. The Salgados did not return multiple phone messages left with a company receptionist yesterday. Levy said the Salgados are appealing the fine.

Levy said the county's Labor Department conducted surprise immigration inspections on its contractors during 2007. Only North Star had any violations, proving the law a success, he said. The measure affects 6,000 of Suffolk's 10,000 contracts, including those that are fully county-funded and all public works contracts.

"It was a very pleasant finding," he said.

But others were less certain about the law's impact.

Legis. Ricardo Montano (D-Central Islip), an opponent of both the contractor law and of a new proposal to extend the law, said Levy is trumpeting the law as a success even though he has not found any wrongdoing.

"Nobody was in violation," he said.

Legis. Jack Eddington (WF-Medford), a co-sponsor of a new bill that would expand the policy to all electricians, plumbers and home contractors licensed by Suffolk, said he was unsure of the impact of the 2006 law. He noted, however, that "the labor unions say it's been somewhat effective."

The Rev. Allan Ramirez of the Brookville Reformed Church, who has long been a critic of Levy's policies, said the law has had only a minimal effect on illegal immigrants.

"They have not changed the landscape of what the immigrant community is doing here," he said. "They can pass all the laws that they want and this will not change because this is an economic issue."

More articles

All I can say is suport Steve Levy

This post edited by sparky1871 06:06 PM 01/31/2008
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,277 Posts
hovbuild wrote:
Just think of all the stolen Id's that these people have....Now the employer pays the tax and the worker never files
....Where does all that money go ? Now I am switching sides...I will be a democrat and get as much as I can from everybody I can before there is nothing left.....
IRS gives them taxes ID numbers, then they take their tax money. They are not cheating anyone, especially since they they know that that ID and tax record might get them a citizenship one day.
If IRS collect the tax, they spend it in our budget, They really don't care who pays...as long as they get paid.

It's just very perplexing to me, and I know I'm gonna get hated and get a few PM's :rolleyes: but, did this illegal immigrant problem just pop up in our country? I guess we had non when we went through the "Tech" boom when every one was rebuilding their homes or relocating or how about in the eighties when things were getting better after the recession in the 70's I guess we ha non then either. :rolleyes:

Fact of the matter is that they have always been there. I know the times are tough, but finger pointing and a modern day witch hunt isn't going to help matters.
it's sad how so many intelligent Americans are buying into this all this hype that the politicians create to hide their failures at real issues, like Welfare, BIN LADEN, Drug trafficking, SS, BIN LADDIN, our deficit, Bin Laden, did I mention Bin laden? :rolleyes:

This post edited by DarthBaiter 08:38 PM 01/31/2008
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DarthBaiter wrote:
Scott1280 wrote:
DarthBaiter wrote:
You guys make it sound like they are giving the rebates to any illegals they meet in the street.
The "illegals" getting the rebate are the ones who pay taxes. Yes Taxes, the IRS gives em a tax id even if they are illegal and collects taxes from them...with no "representaition". :rolleyes:
They may not legally be about to vote (the liberals are working on that one though) but they get plenty of representation by the schmucks down in Washington

So, you willing to give up your right to vote if some shcmuck represents yuou in DC?

Welcome to the new millennium witch hunt. What ever happened to the drug dealer witch hunt? Is that hunt over? How about some of these politicians try and finish one witch hunt before they start another one.I wouldn't give up my right to vote, but my two Senators seem to be more concerned about the illegals than they are about the citizens. We've got 2 border patrol agents sitting in Jail because the government gave immunity to a drug smuggler to testify against them for doing their job. That seems OK to you? The people protecting the border get prosecuted but the coyote drug smuggler they were trying to stop gets immunity? It's insane!


And stop the whining about a "witch-hunt". Just a weee bit melodramatic don't you think? you sound like Sharpton trying to deflect guilt away from a perp and onto society.


DarthBaiter wrote:
And please...$1500, that's not even a weeks pay for me. Bush can take my "allowance" and add it to the national deficit. Economy stimulus package...please...are we so dumb that we are gonna see this as a big help for the economy. :rolleyes:
Well excuse us Mr. Moneybags. Us little peons would be more than happy to get back some of the taxes we send to Washington. It is OUR MONEY after all. ALthough I am curious how someone earning $3,000 a year qualifies for "rebate" of $1,500 when they certainly didn't pay anything at all in taxes. That's no "rebate", it's "welfare".

BTW - Feel free to put your money where your fingers are and endorse that check right back to uncle sam. You're always more than welcome to pay additional taxes any time you'd like. Or are you just all talk?:rolleyes:
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top