NorEast Fishing Forum banner

Live-Lining For Bass

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Crazy-Al 
#1 ·
Hi Al and everyone else. I was hoping I could get a quick answer (I know, no such thing as a quick answer in the fishing game..) I fish mostly in the western sound and have caught too many(enough) bluefish on live bunker, but have yet to grab a bass while live-lining.For the blues i rig up the bunker and let him do his thing, no weights on the line. As the bass feed on the bottom, can someone recommend a rig that I could use to keep the bunker down and still swimming? I'd appreciate any help as I'd like to get that elusive 30lbs. or better bass this season.

#5 ·
Danny Boy wrote:
… I was hoping I could get a quick answer (I know, no such thing as a quick answer in the fishing game..) I fish mostly in the western sound and have caught too many(enough) bluefish on live bunker, but have yet to grab a bass while live-lining.For the blues i rig up the bunker and let him do his thing, no weights on the line. As the bass feed on the bottom, can someone recommend a rig that I could use to keep the bunker down and still swimming? I'd appreciate any help as I'd like to get that elusive 30lbs. or better bass this season.

Hi Danny Boy

That's an excellent question and you already have some good advises!

First of all… when livelining for big bass… There is much to cover and you have to know the following:

1) Big bass migration (Pattern)
2) Where they hold (Feeding grounds)
3) Presentation (rigs, bait etc)
4) Location (Area & Structure)
5) Tide & Moon (current and light)
6) Season (Proven season for large)
7) Wind Direction (Wind pushes bait)

First, You said you fish the western sound… and you catch lots of blues live lining bunker! Well, you need to change your season to start with! You know that live living bunker produces big bass… but if you are fishing the wrong season … You will catch lots of blues and few bass.

As you may know, the western sound is notoriously known for the home of the biggest bass! However, this phenomenon is during the early spring run (NOW). Already my friend Mike Lang posted two thirties (up to 39.6 lbs.) on his club and the season did not open yet! In fact, just yesterday I fished on the Western sound (read my report) and we had several large fish on live bunker!

There is just too much to cover and for time's sake, let's me break it down further and get to the bottom of it!
If you are live living bunker… You probably snagged it -or- netted it. You know that the bass are not too far from where you netted the bunker! In the spring… (before the blues moves in) your odd of culling that trophy is HIGH and I strongly recommend that you go! ;)

But, if you decide to hunt the large bass in the mix of the blues… Then your strategy MUST change! Depending on the situation…. You can try to locate specific trophy locations (deep water is not always the case) and work the early or very late hours of the tide and day!!!

Depending on the depths you fish… a simple hook imbedded to the dorsal is ideal for shallow waters…. And if you fish deeper water, you can always use a fish finder rig… or egg sinker to keep it down. The "KEY" is locating the big fish and presenting it in front of their mouths! Remember this! Big bass are notorious known for being lazy, lethargic and opportunist feeders! Therefore… You have to go to them (stealthy mode) and provide them with a silver platter. :)

There are so many ways to approach this that it would take a book to review all the techniques. I hope I've enlighten you a bit… So tell me, after reading all the responses, what are your thoughts and I am also curious of your immediate calls of "action" for your elusive bass?

"Crazy" Alberto
Nonstopfisher@aol.com

#6 ·
Thanks Guys

First I want to thank you guys for the help. I read each response carefully and now cant wait to get out there, especially as Al said the time is NOW. I run my boat out of City Island and I think first thing in the morning I'm going to run over to manhasset or Hempstead to see if I can find some bunker and like you said in your report Al, the bass shouldnt be that far away. I marked some nice fish over by Stepping Stones light the other day but unfortunately only had my flounder gear aboard, but I'll be ready for them tomorrow. Once again thanks guys. I'll post if it pans out.

#7 ·
If your hard on a school of bunker the 2 techniques that work best for us are;snag and let the crippled bunker sink below the school,if your up tide you'll naturally drift into the school,and the other is with a 3 way 3x3,the bunker will stay close to the bottom were it belongs,if the fish are aggressively feeding you'll need weight sufficient enough to keep the bunker down.Also culling the size bunker is critical at times.A handsize bait often will outfish a jumbo bait.Keep your machine on you'll read bass/blues/C-trout among them,Bass will utilize structure when hearding bait ledges,humps change in bottom contour, shoreline are all factors.Any questions call KAREN ANN CHARTERS

#8 ·
Danny Boy wrote:
First I want to thank you guys for the help. I read each response carefully and now cant wait to get out there, especially as Al said the time is NOW. I run my boat out of City Island and I think first thing in the morning I'm going to run over to manhasset or Hempstead to see if I can find some bunker and like you said in your report Al, the bass shouldnt be that far away. I marked some nice fish over by Stepping Stones light the other day but unfortunately only had my flounder gear aboard, but I'll be ready for them tomorrow. Once again thanks guys. I'll post if it pans out.

Hi Danny Boy,
First of all… If you have an option to either fish Manhasset -OR- Hempstead during the coming few days…. I strongly recommend you fish the Manhasset side! Last week we were "livelining" bunker and we had "several" impressive fish! Also, Just last week there were over 6 legitimate 30 lbs. + reported on chunks in that area!

Like I said before, the bass are in NOW… take advantage before the choppers starts moving them away!
Just wondering… Did you fish this past weekend?

"Crazy" Alberto
Nonstopfisher@aol.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.