NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crazy-Al,
Back on the topic of live-lining bait. You said earlier to "match the hatch". what live-bait can be caught/mimicked in the spring & throughout the year. I fish from a boat out of Port Jeff/ stony brook/ smithtown & sometimes North Port or Cedar beach.
I would either be throwing a casting net, or fishing for the baitfish. In the past i have seen sand-eels & those little red worms (forgot the name). This forum is too informative..i am learning sooo much from you & the other readers. Thanks a million...
mikeyT

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hello MikeyT,
I am glad you find this forum very informative and thanks for the kind words. :)

You wrote:
… what live-bait can be caught/mimicked in the spring & throughout the year. I fish from a boat out of Port Jeff/ stony brook/ smithtown & sometimes North Port or Cedar beach.

Ok, during the spring run you can find the last pods of herring and first schools of bunker! As the season progresses, other "live" bait can be scup, bergal, sea robin (clip the dorsal fins), seabass (11" - Season 5/9-2/28), kingfish and even blowfish. ;)

You wrote:
In the past i have seen sand-eels & those little red worms (forgot the name).

Sand eels, spearing, killies are also great bait but it is mostly intended for fluke. As for the little red worms… those are called cinder worm.

Hope this helps and good fishing!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.