NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently heard of the great success with fishing for Striped Bass with live bait. I plan on setting up a huge live bait tub in my boat this year. What are the best ways to use live bait when fishing for Striped bass? (i fish from a boat on the Northshore of LI between northport & mattituck- launching out of Port Jefferson) The questions i have are as follows:
1) what bait is legal to use when live lining for bass.
2) what are the common ways to catch this bait(where & what time of day is best)
3) how & where should i fish these live baits? (in back waters,jettys,rips)
4) what time of year is the most productive for these baits.
5) when are you coming out w/ a book on all of this stuff.....it will enlighten even the best fishermen.
-thanks Mikey T

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
mikeyt413 wrote:

I have recently heard of the great success with fishing for Striped Bass with live bait. I plan on setting up a huge live bait tub in my boat this year. What are the best ways to use live bait when fishing for Striped bass? (i fish from a boat on the Northshore of LI between northport & mattituck- launching out of Port Jefferson) The questions i have are as follows:
2) what are the common ways to catch this bait(where & what time of day is best)
3) how & where should i fish these live baits? (in back waters,jettys,rips)
4) what time of year is the most productive for these baits.
5) when are you coming out w/ a book on all of this stuff.....it will enlighten even the best fishermen.
-thanks Mikey T

Hello Mikey T,

Wow? that?s a handful post but I will try my best to answer it. First of all? Big bass are opportunist feeders and they will probably eat just about anything that swims! ;)

The most common ?legal? bait is used are herring, bunker, shad , mackerel, bergal, sea robins (just trim the dorsal fins)and the standard eel. Other live bait are: Porgies (9?), Flounder (11?) and the Sea Bass (11?) - But please follow strict restrictions!

2) What are the common ways to catch this bait(where & what time of day is best)

Baitfish such as the herring, mackerel and shad are commonly caught by small shiny jigs. Bunkers are generally snagged (bunker snags) or by small cast nets. Other species (bergal, sea robins, scups flounder and sea bass) are hooked with small hooks and bait. Eels are trapped around marshes and blackish waters.

3) How & where should i fish these live baits? (in back waters,jettys,rips).

There are MANY methods of livelining (pending on areas, structure and conditions)? but I'll try to cover a few.

DRIFTING - The most common live lining methods is to simply insert a hook into the dorsal fin and let it swim freely into the deep. This method is very deadly once you are ?drifting? along / over a productive area?.

TROLLING / ANCHORED - Other methods includes? inserting a hook into the fish nostrils with a fish-finder rig?and ?trolling? along a beach / ledge / holes, etc? Others like to Anchor? the boat during a tide and feed the bait into a current, rip or pocket.

LOCATION - The area where you fish (Northport & Mattituck) is not a very popular livelining area. However, there are deep pockets at the Northport areas where I am sure big bass cruise during the ?moving? tides. The Mattituck jetty (night) is a good fish ambush spot?and if you go East of the jetty? you will run into deep rocky pockets with small rips (by the Hotel). Just West of the jetty? You also have the Pipeline and the Cooper?s rock grounds.

Since you also mention the ?Northshore?? Well, just about any western bays will hold an abundant of herring, shad and bunker. With all that bait in the bay? the Northshore bays is a common place to live line ?and- many quality bass are reported!

4) What time of year is the most productive for these baits.

Well? during the early spring and late fall run?. The herring and sporadic thinker mackerel moves in. During the late April weeks ? Last weeks of August the bunker migrates in the bays and many bass and chopper blues follows the pods. Other species such as the flounder, blackfish, Porgies (scups) and sea bass? it is important to adhere to the respective regulations. Such species such as Sea robin and Bergals ? there are no bag or size limits. Please use such bait conservatively and not abuse the resources.

Thank you for the kind words? but for now, I like to assist as many fellow fishers with this medium... but I am collecting all my data (log books and information) and hopefully do just that someday.

Hope this helps. :)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

This message was edited by Crazy-Al on 2-27-02 @ 7:33 PM

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mike I will try to help you here but the questions you asked could take forever to type out so here is a basic answer to your questions .

1- bunker, snappers, blow fish, herring , shad , eels, and sea bass ,black fish, flounder (of the right size of course)

2- various methods of how to catch these different baits can involve cast netting for bunker and snappers, using sabiki trees for shad and herring ,or clam or squid strips for the blowfish sea bass and blacks near structure.

3- these baits can be fished anywhere best answer is where the bass are . All of those places you mentioned are good places to find bass.

4- depending on where you are bait will arrive at different times . Where I am from the flounder show first then the blowfish sea bass and blacks are always around to some degree herring mid may to june snappers july and aug as well as the bunker. Also dont exclude weakfish if you can get some .Bass will eat just about anything that swims if its hungry. Eels manly in the fall.

5 sorry cant help ya here!

Good luck ! Capt. Dean on the Quick Release

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.