NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hello Cursi,

That?s an excellent question!

It all depends on the water clarity and the quarry you seek. For example, if you are targeting a feisty Rainbow trout or a finicky Albacore in clear water? the odds are that the fish will be line shy! Therefore a light ?clear? line or fluorocarbon leader would be in order. However, if you were targeting a striper in the wash, then the line color would not make much of a difference. But if the same striper moves to the clear ocean? the clear or green line would be less visible.

Personally, if you want to increase your odds and not having to worry too much about line visibility, I strongly recommend that you invest on fluorocarbon leader! Depending on the quarry? I generally use about 4-8? of leader.

Hope this helps and good luck!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
What's the deal with pink Ande? Why do sooo many guys from Sheepshead Bay use it? Is it some sort of cult following, or is there some sort of pink Ande manufacturing plant in SB that I cannot see?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Pink Ande is strong, very abrasion resistant, and most of all cheaper than most of the other quality monos. Makes it a great choice for bottom fishing. I prefer Big Game nowadays (a bit softer, not as wiry as Ande) but for a lot of years, before there was a Big Game, pink Ande was my go-to line.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Of course you liked the Pink Ande - you were a Sheepshead Bay undercover guy!!! Now that you moved you "upgraded" to Big Game. See, that's what I mean!!!

Just kidding, thanks for the response.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Billy40,

Mike P is correct? The Pink Ande line was very popular during the early 70?s and 80?s? Then came the Tournament green, which is softer and thinner. Afterwards the clear Big Game, Ande, Stren came along?. Today we have the popular high tech braid lines?But I still use the pink and big game lines for certain applications. ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi Crazy,
I also am a "Sheepshead Bay guy". I mostly bottom-fish ( can you guess what boat? ). I use 50lbs. pink Ande for Blackfish and Ling. I use 40lbs. green Stren for Seabass + Porgies. This may seem like over-kill, but I find the heavier line gets me out of stucks that would have been hopeless with lighter line. I prefer to come up with a bent hook than to loose the whole rig.

SEAWOLF

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.