NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rebuilding an old wire line outfit that was on a white Shakespear blank. I am using Gudebrod NCP size C for both under and over wraps. I used black for the under wrap, and yellow for the over wrap.

In took these photos after one coat of FlexCoat high build was applied. It looks like the black is showing through the yellow and, the yellow seems to have lost its brightness.

Any advice? I am thinking that I should have used size A for underwraps, and perhaps applied color preserver even though its NCP thread. Perhaps a thread tension issue. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

· Registered
4,226 Posts
this is not a tension issue. Even though you used NCP thread, colors like yellow, orange, white and Light Blue will darken over a dark color or if you use then as an underwrap on a black blank. If you use CP it will help but then it causes another problem. When you use CP on a guide wrap, the CP keeps the finish from penetrating the thread properly and basically the finish just lays on top of the thread. this will cause alot more cracking and after a while the finish will start to lift off the edges of the wrap. IMO i would rather have the thread darken a little than use CP. Hope this helps

· Registered
39 Posts
Another option would be to use yellow as the underwrap where the yellow overwrap will be. Start the underwrap with black then change to yellow (this underwrap part will be under the yellow overwrap)then change to black(this underwrap part will show under the guide ring) then change to yellow then black. Now you have yellow over yellow and your problem is gone.

[email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.