NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me where I can find some info. on hot fishing spots in the sound? I am in the Smithtown Harbor area, new to the north shore fishing experience and want to keep up the image that I know everything to my 2 sons. I don't want to dissapoint them. Thanks for any help that is given. I guess I should add that I do own a boat. Thanks for the responses.

This message was edited by Mach529 on 3-2-02 @ 12:25 PM

· Registered
21 Posts
If you have access to your own boat, Then the entrance to both oyster bay and cold spring harbors offer great striper and bluefish action at particular parts of the year. Also fishing by boat off Bayville's rock piles (eastern end of beach) usually produces some nice blues when they are in. LILCO power plant also has some nice schoolie action on stripers, perhaps right now and later in the season along crab meadow beach.

· Registered
41 Posts
Hi Mach529,
I also fish the Smithtown bay area for a few years now, and if you do have your own boat, you don?t have to go as far as Wireman told you they are very good areas, but there are some very good spots closer, like Porpoise Channel,for bass and blues, Cranes Neck, bass blues porgys blackfish, and in the Summer I almost always limit out with Fluke in Smithtown Bay area right off long beach, in the spring and fall try the reef for blackfish, if you like to travel you have Blues and Bass off Northport Power house, or the fuel docks, or east to port jefferson, I got my largest fluke ever right by buoy #5 in Smithtown Bay, 11 Lbs. That is larger then I ever got by Fire Island inlet where I use to fish years ago, sign up for the reports, and you will get a lot of info in season.

Nite Watch
Ps. E-mail me and we can talk [email protected]

· Registered
199 Posts
mach529,
i moved from the south shore to kings park last year. Best fishing season i ever had got my biggest fluke 9 lbs and my biggest black 11lbs i dont know if it is always this good but i like much better than the south shore. good luck

jat

· Registered
206 Posts
Also...the Eaton,s Neck/Triangle area has alot to offer.
Great fishing for Blackfish there in the fall.
Mouth of the Nissequoge is a good area for bass and blues.
Bouy 11 area off Mt Sinai is great for Fluke.

Take the kids porgy fishing in August at Stratford Shoals for some real big and plentyful Scup.

· Registered
252 Posts
Here are some of my favorite spots:

Fluke:

Buoy 11 is a good spot and not far. I like to fish south east of it in the shallower water (around 8 to 15 feet). Other like to work the ridge. If you have a fish finder it is easy to find were the drop off to deep water is and some people like to drift back and forth across this slope. Buoy 9 down by Rocky Point is another good spot for Fluke, it is about 4 miles east of Mt Siani harbor. You can also catch Fluke in front of Cedar Beach, which is just east of Mt Siani harbor (around 10 to 20 feet deep). I use a Squid and Speering combo.

Blue Fish:

Both Buoy 11 and Buoy 9 can be good spots for Blues. The strip of water form Cedar beach to Woodhull landing and to about ½ mile out can also be good but you need to be careful here because there are lots of rocks. If you have never been here before go at low tide first and go slow. Smithtown bay can also be a good spot for Blues. Then there is Middle Ground. Middle Ground is a Light House in the middle of Long Island Sound. It is about seven miles due north of Port Jeff harbor. Most of the fishing around here seems to be to the south east. I use bunker cut like salmon steaks. Normally I will anchor and use Bunker chum to help draw them in, however you can also jig or troll with a variety of lures.

Stirp Bass:

Not much luck for me here. The only Stripper I ever caught was in front of Woodhull?s Landing on a bunker chunk. I have heard that people catch Stripper at Buoy 11 or Middle Ground either trolling or anchored with clam bellies or live ells. Also the ?Triangle? is to the east of you. This is the area between buoys 13,15 and 11B. It is a little far for me but from the fishing reports I read it is a good spot to troll for Blues and Stippers.

Black Fish:

They like the rocky bottoms. Eatons Neck, Cranes Neck or Old Field Point are good spots. I have also heard that of people catching them at Middle Ground. Look for bottom contour just watch for rocks and strong currents. I use green crabs cut in half.

Well that?s everything I know. You should get a map of the Sound and a GPS if don't already have one, it will make it a lot easier to find the places people are talking about.

Good Luck

This message was edited by Calmwater on 3-3-02 @ 7:44 AM

· Registered
2,776 Posts
Most spots were covered by these guys but it depends on what type of fishing you want. Flaks Pond ( between Old Field and Cranes ) can provide some interesting action in the tide rip, and I have had some of the best action ever on bass and blues inside the pond when the tide is running in ((anchor the boat and walk in, don't bring the boat in).
All the points are good, Old Field, Cranes etc.
Can 11 at Mt.Misery has good fish of all types and inside of 11 there is good schoolie and bluefish action. The area is a great place to fish, the only downside is that the bass generally run smaller than the South Shore and weaks are still not plentifull although they are sometimes here. Around the jetties of Port Jeff and Mt.Sinai there are often fish, and the back of the harbors holds big blues later in the season. I find that blues and bass are best at sunup and sundown, especially with a moving tide.
Fluke is getting much better in recent years, blackfish seems to be not as good as it was. Last year there were so many Porgies they hit anything. I had one come up and hit a surface popper at Old Field ! You won't be dissapointed.
Just in Smithtown Bay there are lots of opportunities, blues are plentifull and most years there are schools of Albies in the fall to drive you crazy chasing them.

Striper77

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.