NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
State Assemblyman Steven Englebright, Democrat from Setauket, has pushed his bill through the State legislature to ban the sale of lead split shots in the State of New York! The bill still needs to be signed by Pataki (not sure if Pataki has decided yet which way he wants to vote).

This is the second of several stages that environmentalists plan to lobby. The first phase was the outlaw of lead shot for shotguns. The next step will be the ban of the USE of lead split shots. Then the focus will be on the sale of lead sinkers OVER one ounce. The final step will be the the ban of the USE of lead sinkers of any weight.

If you haven't been following this one, the purpose of the bill is to protect waterfowl. However, the lobbyists could not show enough evidence about the effects of split shot sinkers on the environment to get the bill passed so they threw in the added "alert" that anglers, including children, often place the lead splitshots in our mouths to close them with our teeth. This was enough of alarming news to convince the legislature that lead splitshots are a bad thing.

I don't know about you, but I've been closing splitshots with my teeth since I was four. So did my father, and so did his. I believe the ban also applies to the sale of small lead jigheads.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Yes.......And what is especially interesting is that the bill does NOT ban the use of split shot only the sale of it.
So anglers can stock up before the ban goes into effect or buy 'em out of state.
Boy, I think somebody is out to make sure that the tackle shops become extinct in this state.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Lead shot has been banned in place of steel in many parts of the country.

In terms of lead for sinkers, nothing new. There was some bill several years ago that was to ban the use of lead in the marine environment. As a side effect it would naturally have precluded a prohibition on lead for sinkers. The bill failed but sooner or later something like it will float up again (no pun intended). :(

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
It passed Yesterday!!!

The bill was signed into law by Gov. Pataki yesterday. It was announced on News 12 Long Island. I didn't hear when it goes into effect, if not immediately.

Will this effect the sale of lead heads, bucktails and jigs as well?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Their next attack will be anything OVER 2oz. Mr. Englebright (Went to school with his daughters and they were the same eco-freaks he is) is following the lead of California which has banned all use of lead sinkers....

Everything is now Tin or steel (More expensive too)... I bought myself some eco-safe split shots the other day. They are made of tin, but really suck... After bending them back and forth a couple times they start to get cracks on them, and they are extremely light.

Plus, if you have a size 3 lead split shot, you will have to buy a size 4 tin shot to get the same weight..... All tin shots are 1 grade higher than lead for a similar weight.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Visit NYFTTA's website http://nyftta.org to see their position on this new law. (Look under Board Proposals, 5/7/02)

I'm heading over to sign the PETA petition right now... and I will post the petiton link in the next LIBBA newsletter. You should be advised that this law was initiated mostly by the Audibon Society... at least, they have a heavy hand in it.

This is how it starts, a little here, a little there, divide and conquer. That's how they'll sneak up on us... I forget who to attribute this qoute to, but "the price of freedom is eternal vigilance..."

Get active, get involved with some organization or at the least just support them... you can chose from about 15 organizations and clubs on long Island that support our sport. Please pick at least one.

The sqeaky wheel gets the grease, and if you just stand by, this law is an example of what'll happen. It passed, and on -bad- science, but it passed. Now it'll be twice as hard to remove it and easier for them to add to it.

They have pretty Actors and Actresses with money on their side, all we have is a bunch of smelly fishermen, so it's gonna be twice as hard. PLEASE GET INVOLVED!

Thanks,
Richie

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey guys,They just passed a lead sinker ban in fresh water,here in New Hampshire.It includes leadhead jigs up to 1" long, and all lead sinkers up to one ounce.It was pushed through by some of the bunny huggers,who think the Loons are eating too much lead,and it is killing them off.
After that law was passed, I heard of some guys who had a ton of lead head jigs,and did,nt know what else to do with them, Just being dumb fishermen,they took them out on the lake and dumped them all over the Loon sanctuary. Loon tastes pretty good if you cook it right!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Latecomer

I knew abt the sinker ban, but just found this thread and also the "PETA" petition.

BTW the petition (I signed it and forwarded to many)is up to something over 70K names. Does anyone know when it will be presented?

Stay vigilant!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.