NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
293 Posts
I think Capt Al is starting to run for cod a few times a week. He's out of Point Lookout. Do a search of the other boards on this site. I know that there have been discussions about the state of local cod fishing and the boats that run this time of year for them.

MC

· Registered
947 Posts
Come to think of it, tomorrow & Sunday will be the days. With that front coming up the coast for Sunday night, those fish should feed big-time before it hits.

Bill Sullivan
Jones/Debs editor
Nor'east Saltwater

· Registered
1,409 Posts
Tried posting a report regarding Fridays trip on Capt Al earlier today, for some reason it hasn't appeared yet. 6 Cod for 13 fares, (all small, one about 15 lbs.) plus some blacks and ling. Tommy did his best. As much as I'd like to see them , cod simply no longer inhabit the western part of LI at this time. I'll be at the dock tomorrow when the boat comes in (if they sail). I've been optimistic for years, but things only get worse.

· Registered
1,409 Posts
PS - Mr Sullivan, what are you talking about ? The forcast for Friday was N/NW at 20-25 MPH, with small craft advisory and 5-6 foot seas. Wasn't aware of you among the 13 diehards that made the trip. Today, they went for blackfish, tomorrow looks like a washout. The results of Fridays trip are in my previous post. As a true cod fanatic, I intended to be on board Friday come **** or high water. The first trip of the year, the past few years, is special for sentimental purposes. Anyone who knows anything about the state of the cod fishery on LI knows that these trips are more sentimental then productive. No need to pump the Al or their operation, they're the best, most people know it. I'll bet they sail more trips in a year then ANY party boat on LI. Your optimism about the results show your ignorance. Capt Al (Tom Weiss and crew) will continue to attract clients without your unfounded optimism and/or without COD for that matter. Their decision to fish for cod three days a week is based upon consumer demand, don't glorify it into something it's not. Pray for cod...., so that the blackfish get a break !!

· Registered
186 Posts
I Guess my ignorance shows to because after reading this discussion and knowing that cod fishing on LI sucks I think it is in the the best interest for any of the die hard Capts. who have hope for cod fishing to get the support. Aint easy to pay bills if nobody is fishing. Instead of crashing Bill lets just give our support to Al.
WINTER MUST BE HERE!! Take a kid fishing.

· Registered
186 Posts
Hey Paul your a better man then many on this board and I am planning on going for cod soon and we all know how its been,so being hopeful and praying helps count me in. Tight Lines and keep those cold weather reports up.

This message was edited by rob.t on 1-6-02 @ 11:23 AM

· Registered
1,410 Posts
The way Cod fishing has been off the south shore does it pay . lets say on the capt al you take that slow moving boat 20 to 30 miles many hours off travel time . seems like it would pay to drive in you car for the same amount of time up north and get on a boat where you will be in a cod fishes living room .bringing home a nice catch . Goto go where the fish are . Just a thought .

MIKE TUNA

· Registered
28 Posts
The charter boat King Wayne in Montauk use to run open trips in the winter if he had 10 guys. Usually call to confirm the trip is going. You could try to find 4 or 5 guys and charter it doesn't cost much more than a party boat and the fishing is usually better. The Viviane with John Demaio is a good bottom boat. Hope it helps.
Lou

fishon

· Registered
199 Posts
I will be on the capt al on fri if the weather holds up. I use to go on the scotty 3 from captree all the time for cod. Sadly this is not an option anymore. My hats off to the capt al for still running these trips and the patrons who go. I fear that if fisherman dont go there will be no more party boats sailing for cod on long island and i love to cod fish so grab some buddies and hope to seeeyou fri. jat56

· Registered
7 Posts
Codfishing on the Capt. Al this season has been slow with several big cod which is what all the sharpies want anyway. If you want to fill your coolers youll have to go to Georges. However Capt. Tom Weiss will find some big cows this season even though the cod have barely visited our waters in the past few years.

Regards
Robbie Capt. Al Point Lookout

· Registered
1 Posts
I have just one thing to say, if their are cod out there I'm sure Tom Weiss (captain Al) will find them. People think that the cod are "gone" I have to ask them how it is that this year the Captain Al has already had about four or five fish over thirty someodd pounds(last year they had I think two total)? There are still fish out their you just have to look harder for them. And if any boat is going to find them consistantly it is going to be the Captain Al.

Good Luck,
J.R.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.