·
Registered
23 Posts
NO Levelwind

I say no to a levelwind.
- It adds a little weight to the reel.
- It slows down the reel.
- Yet another gear mechanism to keep clean
- The first time you get your finger pinched in a levelwind reel you will understand.

In one of Frank Daignault's books he reviews conventional reels and he also downplays the levelwind reels for many of the same reasons.

Take a look at the Penn Squidder. Diehard, trustworthy, easy no-tools- needed spool changes, great drag system... parts avail. everywhere.

JMC

·
Registered
487 Posts
Getting a levelwind or non-levelwind depends on your fishing type. For casting lures definitely I would suggest a levelwind for most conditions. If you need distance then a non-levelwind would be best. Non-leverwind is usually use for casting long distance like when you need your bait to be like 300+ feets from the beach or surf.

With a leverwind it is harder to attach a shock leader or cast farther, so that is why I said people who need distance dont want to have a leverwind mechanism. Without a mechanism you can cast farther and use a shock leader like for bait fishing.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I pretty much concur with Bluefishmaster's points.

If you're going to be really casting the lure or bait way out there, then go for a non-levelwind...hey, ou'll have to learn sometime and there's no time like the present;)

As to a levelwind and shock leader...well I use braided line on my Penn 965 and have a mono leader attached to the braid using a Alberto knot. The mono leader is usually 30-40lb test and approximately 7-8ft long. I mainly use it while bottom fishing but can still cast with it with no problem. It has yet to hang up or get stuck in the levelwind mechanism.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Shocker not leader

A shocker is different from a leader. At 7 or 8 feet that is what is hanging from the tiptop and will not be affected by a levelwind. It is basically a leader. A shocker needs to be that distance plus the distance down the rod and 2-4 wraps around the spool. Down in Hatteras I used a 60lb shocker albrighted to my 20lb running line of Big Game Mono. That knot would blow up a levelwind reel because with the slightest hesitation caused by the knot that spool is still gonna burn fast while the line has slowed or even jammed at the levelwind. Talk about explosion! A nonlevelwind conventional is a must for this type of fishing aand even then you get some blowups. A levelwind has its place and many guys baitfish with them. But if you're casting 8nbait, distance, and using a heavy shocker it's best to stay with a regular conventional. The new Daiwas "shv or if you got bucks Grandwave are the way to go. The Squidder is a Dinosaur that should be retired with the Cracks and Luxors.
I would have never said that 2 years ago, but you have to try one to believe it.
TL
Shag

·
Registered
55 Posts
I always liked a level wind on my Ambassador 7000 but when the "Pawl" (a tooth like gear that rides the worm gear back and forth on the level wind shaft) went on it on the beach I took the entire level wind gears out and resumed fishing without it. This was a day out here with north west winds blowing 15 mph and gusts to 30 mph and I found I was getting better and further cast with the absence of the level wind. Just remember to mind the line tension knob, if you get that right your chances of back lashes are lessened!

Tight Lines and a Little Drag!

NORTHFORK WILLY

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.