NorEast Fishing Forum banner
341 - 360 of 373 Posts

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
Chris, who knows, maybe he invented the better mousetrap?? I don't see any advantages, but, that's coming from an "old timer" who will take some convincing. I'm interested to hear what he has to say. They are "odd" looking.

MakoMatt

·
Registered
110 Posts
UpRiggers

Chris?The San Diego, Ca fleet has been using the ?suspended? rod technique for about three decades now. They use it because it is simple and it works. The trollers get good solid hookups and the method helps to eliminate the crossed lines/tangles problems.
Matt? ?Better mousetrap? for sure. One guy called the UpRigger a new ?pet rock?. Old guys are the hardest sell. I?m 58 and have all the wrinkles of a 70 year old. However, I can still get into my U.S. Army (1966-1968) uniforms. Two rods in one rod holder (been done before I know). Not much needed to be said about the ?uprod?. The ?suspended? rod eliminates the need for a flat line clip. The ?suspended? rod tracks a lure or bait like a predator tracking its prey. You get the solid hook set (lure to reel drag) you cannot get with the flat line clip method (lure to clip to rod tip to reel drag). Ever have a big, fast fish (like a wahoo) go across your transom, pick up a bait or lure and continue perpendicular to your course? What you end up with is a rod bending in a way it was not designed to bend. The ?suspended? rod in the UpRigger always tracks the lure/bait/ or fish. High speed trolling? Bent-butt performance? The UpRigger provides you with both. How would you like to have bent-butt performance in your favorite standup rig? How would you like to save a ton of money? How would you like to have more space in your ****pit? No big bucks chair, bucket etc. etc. needed. Wanna use your bent-butt with the UpRigger? You can. Try this, put your bent-butt in the uprod position of the UpRigger, swing out your downrigger and slow troll for sharks. Suspend your standup rig, put the bent-butt in the uprod holder and drift on your chum slick. Teasers anyone? We are using teasers almost always . We put an UpRigger in the center (transom) rod holder and suspend a teaser reel attached to a rod butt (no rod). Put an outfit in the uprod holder and work the two in harmony. There is a secret lurking here but, I?ll save that for another time. I suspect there will be questions and comments so I?ll end here for now. There are lots of photos and lots more to discuss. There maybe be others lurking that have heard of or have seen or even used the UpRigger.
Bob

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
What type of a release does the suspended rod have?

Is the suspended rod just floating there on some sort of swivel?

If it's just floating there, do you have to attach some sort of clip to your rod at the balance point?

A closeup pic would help. Thanks.

(This post edited by shebeen on 06/08/2005)

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
quote:
I read an article in one of the fishing magazine's recently, that they troll rods like that on some long range trips out of So. Cal.
We used this technique on the Excel while trolling for wahoo. It is effective and efficient. But, bear in mind, there are no rod holders on the Excel. I did note that unhooking the strap from the reel lugs after a hookup was a little awkward.

Rnrbob, my concern about your rig is that it might be a little cumbersome and interfere with your ability to move around the ****pit after a hookup, particularly if you have four lines deployed on two rigs.

(This post edited by Meirowitz on 06/09/2005)

·
Premium Member
11,914 Posts
Trolling for wahoo was what they were saying this method was used for. I'd like to see some more about these rod holders myself, especially because I fish on a couple of boats that just don't seem to have enough holders in them in the first place.

I'd suggest making this a topic unto itself though. . . .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Love my restored Formula - been out to butterfish hole and blue fin grounds over by the compass rose. Looking to move up to a 28 Carolina Classic. Just don't know if I could ever sell her. We've raised white marlin, yellow fin blue fin mahi and at 2.5 mpg you cant beat it.
no wahoo yet

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
26 dusky.
picked her up last year. currently still under the bag. fixing a few soft spots in the deck, new deck hatches and some fresh paint. need to upgrade my electronics. hopefully i can make a few trips out this summer for some tuna and mahi!

Attachments

·
Registered
837 Posts
Thanks for the complements! I can tell you that I am seriously stoked to be fishing on this boat. We may not catch more fish, but the ride out and back sure will be nice. The name of the boat is
Fin-Ally, which most people pronounce Fin Alley, but for me it's more like "finally" This is the original name of hull #1 by F&S. She looks more like a Carolina boat than anything else, but the bottom is the same one that F&S uses to this day. It is nearly identical to the SeaCraft, and it is called a variable deadrise with longitudinal steps.

Some notable details: 2 x 800hp Detroit Series 60. 1200 gallons of fuel. Gross dry weight is under 40,000lb. Construction is cold molded plywood. Cruise at 1880rpm is 30 knots with WOT of 37-38 knots. At 27 knots she burns less than my old boat with a full load, and the range is around 600NM.

Attachments

341 - 360 of 373 Posts