NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone...
this morning,while I was updating my charts,loran
& gps coordinates for the north shore,I was wondering how come we don't have a forum here in the noreast.com, for us to exchange #'s like other sites do.I know that most of us wouldn't give up their secret spots for nothing,but like someone from Florida told me,for the long run,it will help all of us.also,thanks to the noreastern.com team,we have a few spots mentioned on the site and I think it would be nice if we could add more.
so,what do you guys say??? I'm willing to make the first move to trade #'s (you'll have to forgive me though,I only have north shore #'s where I fish). let's do it to help each other..
I hope someone from the noreast office reads this post and will help us with a forum just for this .
God bless you all and tight lines.
Hookem_cookem.

·
Registered
206 Posts
hookem,
I believe that finding your ownspots is part of becoming a good fisherman. ican see giving gps # for a reef or wreck but not a specific piece. I just started fishing the north shore 2 years ago and only have short list of good pieces but i do enjoy the searching almost as much as the succes of finding a piece. However if you convince others to do this I will look and try them but i would not give any of my few spots up. call me greedy

good luck

jat

·
Registered
81 Posts
Exactly what I thought the response would be to that!! If I have found one thing about fishing in New York it is that you can not expect any cooperation from other fisherman unless you directly know them. I have fished in Florida and the Carribean and people really let each other know what is going on. Maybe not exact baits and colors but information as to where and when. But just ask on your radio here and see what you get... Good Luck to all

·
Registered
206 Posts
Tarheel
when you fish inshore there so many boats fishing the same area its hard to want to share a piece. For instance if you fish for blacks on the smithtown reef there are too many boats all fishing the same 1/4 mile of reef so any piece that some one is able to find may not be accessible once every one is anchored. Gps#'s for most wrecks and reefs are easily found on good maps but specific pieces on those reefs and wrecks should be worked for

good luck

jat

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.
I do agree to a certain point with your point of view guys but like Tarheel said: "just ask on your radio here and see what you get... " well,we all know the answer to that one lol. but why is it this way?? I fished many places over the years and I have to say that it's totaly different in the west coast,Florida and overseas.
searching for new spots is part of fishing JAT56,
I agree with you but the point I was trying to make is why not save time and gas $$ by trading??
One more thing, I guess what Tarheel also said was true and I quote "If I have found one thing about fishing in New York it is that you can not expect any cooperation from other fisherman unless you directly know them."
Oh well, I thought I had a good idea,maybe we could share information(s) but I guess I was wrong.
thanks jat56 and tarheel for the replies,I'll keep an eye on this to see if you guys change your minds.
Hookem_cookem out.

·
Registered
778 Posts
its part of the game fishing is highly competitive i would not expect someone to just give away their "ace in the hole" sure it would be nice but. these days there are way too many boats on a weekend day and not enough GOOD lumps to fish on if you got em keep'em .

tight lines...Anthony

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
When it comes to shareing info. i've noticed a big difference in how forthcomeing anglers are and it seems to relate to where they are fishing. The offshore guys are the best, they know its a big ocean and they often call there friends in when they are on fish. The inshore crew is not as open, they will give general info, but never too specific, and they will usually wait until the bite is over. The surf guys are the worst, I have seen surf anglers hide the lure they were useing like it was a state secret. They seem to feel that if they give out some info there won't be any fish left for them.

If you are looking for gps numbers try ************** I've made two attempts to list this website because it has a good selection of wreck locations and both times it was deleted. If anyone is interested e mail me at [email protected] earthlink . net and I'll reply.

This message was edited by spygull on 11-15-01 @ 9:46 PM

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Hi there Hook Em, Your heart is in the right place but with over 100,000 registered boats in SUFFOLK county alone the idea of sharing #'s or spots with other people is a little tough. Ask yourself how many of these boaters actually know what they are doing. I have seen some people who have enough money to buy there big new toys and have absolutly no consideration for other boaters especially fisherman. Think about it, 100,000 boats witn maybe 30% being fisherman. Its is starting to look like a Park and Ride out there. I do my fishing on the South Shore and only fish during the week in the summer and really start after Labor Day.I even venture out to Montauk and put my boat in Gone Fishin Marina for a week or so. I did it this year and I will do it again next year. I hope your idea works for you but as the other post have said you might have a tough time, Good Luck anyway.

·
Registered
763 Posts
As I see it, it cost me quite a bit of cash and time to get the numbers I have. I spend a lot of time on the water always looking at the fishfinder and punching in spots some good, some not so good.
My point is you shouldn't look at numbers as just any old info there is alot more behind a good set of numbers besides good fishing.
If you wan't to spend 5 days a week on the water trying to keep on top of the fish and just give up your spot or spots to any weekend worrier go ahead.
Truth is most good fishermen wouldn't bother tracking down a set of numbers they found on a message board anyway.

Good luck on your quest for numbers.

Knot Me.....

·
Registered
206 Posts
knot me
well said. I agree, unfortanatly most of my fishing is done on the weekend, do to work but I have managed a few good pieces and i would not share them. But if someone posted #'s I probably would give them a shot. I have a 17 ft cc so when the wind is blowing in oct and nov I am limited to blackfishing on the smithtown reef which is a parking lot on the weekend. So if I am not one of the first boats out there im stuck on a none productive piece and gets a little cold when your not catching.

jat

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Folks,

Some very good replies to this thread.

Yes, many fishermen have their hearts/heads in the right place. Toooooo many of them DON"T!!!

Fish like blues/bass move all over and thats one side of the coin. However blackfish are very territorial and you have to be right on them to catch them.

This "enlightened period" we live in is the "age of instant information and gratification". People don't want to as we say, "pay their dues".

Just read the custom rod building and fishing web sites. People want to save time, cut expenses have all the knowledge that others have spent hours and money to acquire, instantly.

Now don't get me wrong. I have received much assistance over the years and also give much assistance in return. I guess what gets my dander up is that these people want it all NOW!!! What ever happened to "trial and error" and a "learning curve"?

As a party boat captain, I have had boats circle my boat at anchor, and get the numbers. At a later date I can't use that spot because it is taken. Not much I can do about that. I have had fares on the boat using hand held GPS. Oh well!

When I had my private boat, I took great pleasure in being able to catch fish where the fleet wasn't. No crowds and no idiots. Use to hear the captain on a party boat i fished on refer to small boats as "stink pots". Try operating a party boat and you will understand his feeling.

I did and still call in boats to my area while drift fishing. Anchoring for blacks is a different story. The pieces, unless rocky area, are usually too small.

LI Sound is a small boat paradise for blackfishing. Thanks to the Ice Age the Sound bottom is littered with rocks and bolders. Use your sonar scope to locate these areas and log in the GPS #'s. Most of these areas are too small for a party boat to fish, boat is larger than the piece. Fish these pieces and learn when the best time and tide is productive. When you accomplish this you will feel very good about it. I also think you might become very protective of this hard earned knowledge.

This epistle is long enough! Time to go walk a couple of miles.. Enjoy the day.

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil
(631)567-8049

·
Banned
166 Posts
All the "Numbers you will ever need are already available to you and anyone with a few bucks to buy a NOAA Chart. Our Gum-mint has spent millions of dollars and countless hours creating the Navigational Chart just so you can find really great fishing spots. Years ago the veneral Horatihio Hornblower asked the colonial fathers to set asise some of the tea tax revenues so that he and his cronies could have their honey holes documented for all the imigrants that wrere sure to come after free numbers were available. They wer right then and they are right now. For only a few farthings you can buy a original authentic piece of US history, a classical document of navigational know how that never goes out of vouge.

Here a helpful hint:!! Get some cray Ola's and colour in those funky lines that are numbered just like the picassos around the charts (MAPS for lubbers of the Lands). Use blue for fathoms and red for knots and a few other shades for the cruncky dots that represent shell bottom. You then only have to set your altimiter for the location that you would like to fish and troll around till you get there.

Piece of cake (CODCAKE) eh?

Capt. Walt

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello guys..
wow,I guess I started a good topic here lol.
I know exactly what most of you guys mean and I
COMPLETLY agree with you but I still don't know why this sounds like a bad idea to most anglers here in NY? I lived & fished in Florida,virginia
and LA,and I have to admit that everyone help each other whether it's with gps #'s,loran etc..
I don't have to be a party boat Cpt to understand
what they go through as it happened to me before & still is and i see how they feel as I'm on their boat during the whole thing(before I got my own boat).
I also know that most good charts have good locations but that was not why I started this topic.I just wanted to have us exchange loran & gps #'s between us fellow fisherman.
I'm really glad I read all your answers & I had a chance to see where you guys stand on the subject.
Hookem_cookem

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
This seems to be a hot topic and I have posted my feelings in a proir post. Do you use a fishing log? That may help you when you do get into a spot you like. I would write down all conditions with the #'s and start your own list. Just a thought.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hi bcmeyer..
I do use a fishing log,always did always will.
I've been fishing the north shore for the last 18 years & I beleive I have more than enough numbers
to help me get through each fishing season.
I guess you were right,way too many boats out there.my idea made sense too me before but it's hopeless.take care.
hookem_cookem

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.