NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the things that helps a forum like this evolve is getting to meet your on-line friends, face to face. What is a better way then getting together for some fishing!

OK heres two things we need to do:

1) Figure out where we could all go

2) Figure out when

I suggest we keep it in the Tri-State area. From what I can gather, most of you guys are from around here (and theres nothing stopping the rest of you from driving in and joining us). My suggestions for a place is dependent on what time of year we do this. If you wanna do it right away (april-may), then NY might not be a good option cause only trout and panfish will be open. NJ is an option as bass can be added to the list.

My club does a picnic / fishing trip at Bear Mt every memorial day. Its a possible spot that offers unlimited shore access, restrooms, easy parking, and plenty of other things to do other then fishing (god-forbid!).

If we think June and July, bass come into play in NY, so do walleye.

Other options are fishing small lakes that dont offer anything other the access for small portable boats. Guys with canoes or yaks might be interested in this. I have plenty of these lakes in mind.

Soooo, what ya think? We will grill up some good food, catch some fish, and enjoy the company of our Nor'east nieghbors. I've attended quite a few of these and hosted a few also, Every one of them have been a blast!

If anybody wants to have a mini get together this saturday, I'm going for big carp and crappies, lemme know.

[email protected]

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Al!

Yea I got a good spot by Ossining. We can all meet at Croton Point Park and shoot over to the "honey hole".

last saturday was cold and cloudy, yet the big bottom suckers where in the shallows mucking around already.

If your gonna go, bring waders, the muck is deep.

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even better if you have a yak or canoe, not required as shore access is pretty good, but you'll be far more mobile.

There is a nice earthen dam along one end that is wide open for fly casting. Might be a little early to target carp with a fly, but I'll have mine for panfish anyway.

I usually use corn on a special rig I have for keeping floating off bottom a little. Slip bobbers work too.

Last year they would hit yellow twister tails while targeting panfish too!!

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nah, all I do is make some small yellow "floats" outta foam. I make em the size of corn. I then add one or two to my hook along with the corn so it stays outta the muck. I add just enough splitshot about 8" in front of it to keep it on bottom. On windy days I may add more wieght and a slip bobber for strike detection.

Depending on cover, I'll use a baitholder hook or a small treble. For light bites, I like the treble cause they usually hook themselves before they can spit it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.