NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
congrats alberto..........
care to field this one
last year was rather slow for the riss/brezzy area and this one shaping up worse. now im talking plugs only (weekend warior stuf)
were not seeing the acres of penuts as we did two -three yrs
ago
ive not seen anything close to
decent action more than hit or mis.

any thoughts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hello Plugger,
I agree that the past two years there were a peanut shortage but quality fish were caught mostly on chunks and eels. This is not to say that you should keep your hopes low and cut your season short. No way, you can do the following: Change your fishing patterns and seek out new plugging areas ?or- change your methods to eeling and chunking.

Last year I noticed that the night bite (western area) was slow? and the early light and daylight hours bite was good. What does that mean? Well, instead of plugging at night ? I would plug during the daytime? and chunk at night. This way you could have both worlds. ;)

Another words, if you are in the need to catch, you need to be spontaneous and willing to adjust. The more adjustable you are ? the more fish you will probably catch.

?Crazy? Alberto

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have to agree with both of you guys. There are definitely fewer peanuts around this year, and the daytime action took a hit because of it. For me, this season was not as good as the last few, but as usual I learned a few new things along the way. I have been fishing eels more than ever, and trolling has continued to produce fish - though nothing like last year. The "new" wrinkle for me, was bucktailing in the middle of nowhere. West of Hoffman & Swinburne Islands, a good mile off the beach. Just bounce the thing on the bottom & SLAM - 15 pound bass. Now that was cool.

Stephen Byrne
NY Bight Editor
Nor'east Saltwater

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
# 1 your doing fine.
as to the penut question,i thought you might have some insight as to WHY they did a hodini on us.
ive been at this a while but i dont even rember penuts as being a huge factor untill 3-4 years ago

but you get spoiled

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey plugger, I plug the bays by Jones Inlet and agree that this year wasnt as easy as past years. The peanut situation was one, but I noticed much more spearing in the water then past years so I used more shallow swimming plugs. I also noticed quite a few more boats plugging so the added pressure may be a factor. I feel your pain however, because I fish with artificials 90% of the time and it is tough listening to all the great fish being caught (many by novices)using bait. I guess we just have to live with it and enjoy casting!!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Plugger and Seacups,

You are absolutely right! There are less and less peanuts swimming our waters and more pressure on our waters lately... Add these factors together - we get tough fishing! This is unfortunately because I too missed those big pods of peanuts. :(

What do you do?
Well, fish less pressured areas and scout for different bait! I've made these adjustments and found decent pods of fish. ;)

"Crazy" Alberto

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.