NorEast Fishing Forum banner

"Lep's Sticks" FURTHER Discounted! ! !

7K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  obtuseangler 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Leprechaun,

Thanks for the heads up on the Lep rods. I ordered a couple when you originally alerted us to the sale and feel they are a great value. Today when I saw your post that they were further discounted I decided to call Bass Pro Shops to see if I could get a credit for the reduction. They told me that the $14.88 rod is not the same one that I purchased last week for $19.99. This closeout model are last years leftovers and don't have Fuji guides and aren't made with the IM6 blank. It is probably still a great value but I thought you might like to know. Thanks again for the heads up and HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!!

PGB53

#3 ·
So then those $14.88 rods are the original sticks that I and my crew use.

Maybe not the latest "Super Hi-Tech Loomis-clones" ;) that they are selling for $20, but still **** nice for less than 15 bucks.

rgds, Leprechaun

Attachments

#6 ·
Naaa, Not Needed -

These two guys that moderate this board are true experts, with far more experience than I.

And they do a super job of not only passing along excellent useful info, but also and maybe more importantly they know how to keep things orderly and friendly without the heavy hand of e-censorship.

And I think that this particular board is about the best on the net for specific info that's super useful to us here in the Northeast. In fact I can't think of another that I'd rather spend my time on.

I do have a few tricks up my sleeve and these I'll happily pass along as the opportunity or need arises.

Besides, I'm really busy on another board that deals with inboard boat maintenance and repair.

But I like to think of this Site and this board in particular as my second cyber-home.

rgds, Leprechaun

Attachments

#10 ·
He is in the right spot!!!

Well guys Leps here and a big part of this board! ask the pros is moderated by us but mant pros are amoung us as well. Thnaks Lep and to many ask the pro baords don't make much sense. Everyone he is a pro in some sense of something and welcomed to post it!
Fishing changes to much to know it all!
If you think you got it one day your dammed the next tight lines and a good season to all:)

#11 ·
Aww, Shucks!

Youse guys are too nice.

And I'm just glad to be here and contribute.

FishingChris - I didn't see a question mark after your prior post so I thought you were making a statement, not asking a question.

Anyways - there's all kinds of reels that would go nice on these rods. On my boat we've tried Newell 220's (The C and S series reels with the SS reel feet), the Shimano TR200G, and the Abu 6500 Striper Trophy Series. I personally lean towards something with a levelwind in the bay for bass chumming but prefer a reel like the Newell for ocean bottom fishing. Just my personal druthers, either type would work just fine in the other area.

If you have the bucks a Calcutta 400 or 400S would be a sharp match, the Abu baitcasters have always been my choice for light work (Still have my old 6000 4-screw red reel - about 35 years old now and still kickin' bass), or that Daiwa Firewolf I keep talking up in the 17 or 27 size would make an ideal match with a pricetag that won't break the bank.

rgds, Leprechaun

Attachments

#13 ·
Back ordered>>>>>>>>

Yes there is 2 diffrent rods. the original rod Lep told us about is not a Im-6 and does not have the fuji guides. the other one which i ordered has Im-6 and fuji guides thats why they are 19.99
But you can;t buy the parts fro that cheap:). You'd be a fool to pass them up! for the extra 5 bucks you get the better guides to me it worth it

#15 ·
I Dunno, Never Have Seen The "New" Lep Sticks

I have the original - and believe me, for less than $15, the guides are plenty good enough on the older models, which by the way are built on a graphite composite blank and therefore are even more "Braid-friendly" than the new models. At least theoretically.

On my rod, what I did was to swap the tip out for a Fuji BULT and turned down the end corks of the rear grip and then epoxied on a Fuji mushroom cap and I gotta tell ya, that rod looks like a $100+ piece, done up that way.

Fishes like one too.

To be honest, its just a wee bit tip-heavy without a reel on it, but put a Newell 220 or Shim-"Oh No!" TR100G in that reel seat and she balances right out.

It has become my "Go-to" Seabass rod for drifting Cholera in the Spring, and trust me on this, I've got $500 custom rods up in my rocket launcher that I walk past to pick up my trusty BPS P.O.S . . . Says something, I would think.

It also does yeoman's service doubling up as a loaner rod for tog ionshore and off and also as my loaner bass chummer in the bay and Inlet.

I guess the original guides are some bulk-purchased Chinese or Korean specials, but they've taken all the bouncing around that me and my crew can hand them and they've come through with flying colors. No failures in two seasons.

In fact, based on that excellent service I'm in the process of putting a new Loomis MU785 muskie blank together for back-bay bass chumming and after extensive discussions with my blank vendor D&E Rods in Battle Creek, Wa., I went ahead and walked past my original guide choices in both PacBay and Fuji and ordered up a set of brand-new-to-this-country Korean-made S.I.C. guides with Titanium Carbide-coated frames and a matching PacBay S.I.C. flanged tiptop - all for the price of what Fuji or PacBay gets for run-of-the-mill Hardalloys.

If anyone is interested in the details and the near-unreal discount that D&E is offering on these and other discontinued Loomis blanks - let me know and I'll post the details.

Believe me, its a great deal I'm getting.

And I would think that the "Lep Stick" issue has given me some small measure of credibility in the "Budget tackle that works" catagory.

rgds, Leprechaun

Attachments

#16 ·
Oh, and Anthony - I would think that that other rod would be no less a winner for this kind of money.

What the ****, if you don't like it, either send it back or break it in two and make it into two nice tomato plant stakes for your vegetable garden.

Already would have the rings on it to tie the green string onto. ;)

rgds, Leprechaun

Attachments

#18 ·
Holy Crips LL - that little green guy you posted looks a little too much like me for comfort.

About the same hairline and a bit less beard, but I think you captured the "Look" just about perfectly.

And in truth I'm probably the LAST guy on Earth to get the job of moderating a "Budget Tackle" board. I spend more money on more unneeded overpriced rods than about anyone I know. Its actually a running joke on my boat that my crew anxiouly awaits the first trip of the year just to see what new rods (and boat contraptions) I've dreamed up over the Winter.

The laughter stops when I sock it to a hog tog first bait to the bottom.

They just hate that.

Most of my "Improvements" are really only maginally better than those rods or electronics they replace, but I'm always willing to try something new, especially if its graphite, ceramic or electronic.

But in the case of these BPS rods - they are just such an excellent value that I had to pass it along, even though they barely qualify price-wise for a decent lunch at the new "Pastrami King" across from Roasties in Merrick.

Notice how I artfully work at least one food reference into every thread I participate in? What can I say, its a gift.

BTW - for those that would be immediately affected - Newsday anounced yesterday that Krispie Kreme just went to contract on a piece of property right down the street from my office on Rt. 110 in Melville.

How great is THAT!!!

rgds, Leprechaun

Attachments

#20 ·
Bass Pro shop Just notified me they will be renaming these rods the "Classic Lep rod" . It will be all Green . Next time Lep you find one of these get an order first . With one hundred orders we get the rod for $9.99 .

Better Yet maybe we should start a Tackle store called Noreast Board Tackle . Think of the saving all our members would get . I could see Georges wheels turning .

By the way I'm only Joking !!!!!!

Mike Tuna

#22 ·
BPS ROD

Just back ordered 3 of the BPS rods you are posting about.I will let you know what I think when they come.Hope they come before April because I will Be fishing the Gulf Of Mexico.You really are convincing because I have been building custom rods for many years and have not purchased an off the shelf piece for the last 15.Anyway at that price you can't buy a decent blank so thanks for the tip.

#23 ·
the link posted in the first link doesn't work. I'm sorry, but can you relink to the rod's that you guys are talking about? The 15 dollar one, and the 19.99 "Loomis-clone"?
Thank you.

Also, from that same site, do reels go at an insanely discounted price too? And if so, which reel is he best for cheapest? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.