NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used the Lep Stick for cod? I took mine out tonight and put 12 ounces on it and it handles it with almost no bend. I'm thinking about using it for the early season whale cod (what a fight on light tackle) around the IOS. What reel would you all reccomend for this rod fishing not more than 200 FOW, with 125 being the norm, with braid? I was thinknig a 112H Senator would be too big. I like the Avets, but I'm looking for something a little less expensive. Any ideas?

This post edited by Fmoore 07:38 PM 12/23/2007

·
Banned
7,820 Posts
Fmoore wrote:
I like the Avets, but I'm looking for something a little less expensive. Any ideas?
From what I have learned on NE,
ABU'S and Lep Sticks are like Peanut Butter and Jelly.
Whale Cod watch out !
:)

·
Super Moderator
10,365 Posts
I dunno - maybe under ideal conditions off a private boat. I do know that some guys have caught cod with it - I've received some nice P.M.s on the subject, don't know the reel choice they went with.

For 20 bux, if you have the itch, why not scratch? Your bait for the day will probably cost more than that rod, so what's the harm? I do think I would look for something a bit more substancial for day-in, day-out codfishing.

Merry Xmas!

Lep

·
Registered
687 Posts
Keep an eye out on e-bay picked up a fin-nor ofs16 conventional for $111.00 including shipping. Looks and performs like a saltist 30 which would also suit your needs. Only used the fin-nor once but so far I like it. Seems like I get a little more drag out of the fin-nor than I do on my saltist 30 and 50 that were upgraded with carbontex drag washers and bearing. I have fished coxes with my lepstick and its been ok, would be better if the foregrip were more substantial but for the $ what the hey ! Could always extend the foregrip with a peice of pipe insulation and elect. tape . Then you would have a custom lepstick !!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I've done it, and it's a lot of fun, although as mark said, a lot of work. Definitely not the rod you want to use for the whole trip, but if you're into a lot of markets or a pollock slam in shallow water on an uncrowded boat, nothin wrong with dropping a six or 8 ounce jig into the fray and holding on.

The 6'3" length is also a little on the short side for pb fishing, although i've used it on charter boats cod fishing with no problems.

Not to thread hijack, but the sweetest LT cod stick in my opinion is the st croix tidemaster 10-20lb conventional stick. Matched with a calcutta 400 and 30lb braid, you'll have a ball.

pic 1: lep stick cod.

pics 2 and 3: LT pollock PAIN.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I fish off my own boat and am just looking to have some fun. No problem with crowds or anything. I already have the Lep Stick, so I figured why not just pick up a reel and see what happens. I'm sure I'll realize how much cod actually do fight with that setup. Looking at the Abu 70003i, Diawa Sealine X 20SHA or the Shimano Torium 14. Any other suggestions?

Merry Chritmas

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,365 Posts
The Torium 14 sounds fine. If its doesn't involve hi-speed jigging, then the Tekota 300 is another excellent choice.

Also, don't forget the littlest Newell, the tough as nails model 200.

Meryy Christmas,

Lep

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.