NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found myself using a Lemming metaphor in a meeting today.

The only problem with that was that no one knew what a lemming was.
Then I found myself trying to explain it.

I need to get a new job????

Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 11:07 AM
To: XXXXXXXX,Saverio; XXXXX, Claudine; XXXXXXXXXX, Nicole; XXXXX, Joseph; XXXXXXXXXXX, David; XXXXXXX, Marie
Cc: XXXXXX, Ralph
Subject: OF LEMMINGS & PUMPS

At what point did we need to pick a pump? (Me)
We are still moving forward. (Nicole)
In much the same way that lemmings move forward right up until they find themselves going off of a cliff. (Me)

On occasion, and particularly in the case of the Norway lemmings in Scandinavia, large migrating groups will reach a cliff overlooking the ocean. They will stop until the urge to press on causes them to jump off the cliff and start swimming, sometimes to exhaustion and death. Lemmings are also often pushed into the sea as more and more lemmings arrive at the shore. [6]

The myth of lemming mass suicide is long-standing and has been popularized by a number of factors. In 1955, Carl Barks drew an Uncle Scrooge adventure comic with the title: The Lemming with the Locket. This comic, which was inspired by a 1954 National Geographic article, showed massive numbers of lemmings jumping over Norwegian cliffs.[7]. The suicide myth was further propagated by Walt Disney documentary White Wilderness in 1958 which includes footage of lemmings migrating and running head-long over a ledge. An investigation in 1983 by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's Brian Vallee, showed that the Disney film makers faked the entire sequence using imported lemmings (bought from Inuit children), a snow covered turntable on which a few dozen lemmings were forced to run, and literally throwing lemmings into the sea to show the alleged suicides.[8] This myth is also witnessed in a German film - The Little Polar Bear (Lars, the polar bear)--in which a group of despondent lemmings are frequently jumping off various ledges.[9]

Due to their association with this odd behavior, lemming suicide is a frequently-used metaphor in reference to people who go along unquestioningly with popular opinion, with potentially dangerous or fatal consequences. This is the theme of the video game Lemmings, where the player attempts to save the mindlessly marching rodents from walking to their deaths.

X

Hence my metaphor regarding the Bronze Goddess Pump & our need to pick one.

And yes - I did include the picture in the email.

Attachments

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pursuit wrote:
Please tell us more about this " Bronze Goddess Pump"

it a pump for a sun item we are developing - try to contain yourself

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.