NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am right handed, but I like to reel with my left hand. Spinning reels are set up for a right handed individual to reel with the left hand and fight the fish with the stronger right arm. Besides being easier to fight the fish with my stronger arm, it is also more convenient because I don't have to switch hands after I cast. For some reason, I can't understand, conventional reels are set up reversed.

Whenever I can, I buy a left handed version of a conventional reel. Unfortunately, there aren't many manufacturers of saltwater conventional reels that also make them in left hand models. I once asked a Penn representative about this and he looked at me like I was crazy.

Most of us are accustomed to reeling spinning reels with our left hands, so using a left handed conventional reel would not be a drastic change. So, I am just curious guys, am I alone in my desire for left handed reels or is there a market out there that is being overlooked by manufacturers.

Chris

·
Registered
831 Posts
doughboy----if the Penn "rep" (most likely an agency employee hired to man a booth at a show) looked at you like that--he doesn't even know "his" own company's product line. Penn has made "lefty" versions of the 140 Squidder and the 500 Jigmaster, among others, for many years.

Shimano offers a lefty version of the new, more expensive Calcutta 400 TE, but not the original one. Add another $150 to the already steep price of a Calcutta for a TE version.

OK---I wasn't around then, but an old-timer once explained to me the rationale for putting the handle on the right. The early revolving spool reels were direct-drive, like most fly reels. No gears to multiply the retrieve ratio, the spool turned once per turn of the handle. Couple that with the smaller turning radius of a conventional handle in comparison to a spinning, and most fishermen had problems cranking them with the left hand. That's also why most fly reels come set up for right hand crank, too. Since reels got geared and some have ratios of 6:1 or faster, there's no real reason to keep it there---but most still come that way.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You Know...it's funny...I was just thinking about this the other day...LOL!
I'm right handed also, but I have to switch hands just like you said.
When you watch the pro's on TV, they don't have to switch hands. They can cast and reel with the rod in the same hand. But I guess they have the inside track, and can get any equipment they want.
I also get the same reaction from guys in tackle shops...they look at me like I'm stupid...LOL.
I have to start looking for some reels that I can do this with.
Maybe if enough guys start to ask, manufacturers will listen to us!
Tight Lines....

~spinfreak~

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike,

Thanks for the explaination. I guess the manufacturers have just been stuck in tradition. I was asking the "rep" about the internationals (965, 975). You are probably right about him too. The only thing he was really able to do was point me in the direction of their products. He was not very knowledgeable about the products.

The oversea's manufacturers have always produced more left-hand reel models than the domestic companies. They are readily available in freshwater models. I have found that Calcutta CT151&251 are left hand models also. I am just familar with the Penn's and I like them a lot, plus, they are USA. If you look at my father's boat or my truck when we go out it is practically all Penn rods and reels. They've been good to me for twenty years and father MUCH longer. (Haha Spygull).

Thanks again,

And, maybe if there is enough interest in this we'll email this link to Penn and others (LOL).

·
Registered
831 Posts
Not a bad idea---some manufacturers do listen to internet input. Another website, that I won't mention here (but many of you know I hang there a lot) has been experiencing problems with some Mitchell reels, case of poor QC coupled with a design flaw. Since the site sold over 100 of the reels, Pure Fishing is bending over backwards to rectify it by replacing reels no questions asked, and exploring a cost-effective re-design. The fact that the site sells a lot of product has something to do with it, I'm sure, but still---they're listening and acting. Never hurts to air a problem and concern. I can tell you that reps and designers from the major tackle companies DO read the internet.

Now--on the other hand---some companies react in the wrong way when someone criticizes a product. Won't mention them by name, but a big lure manufacturer has a history of firing off "nastygrams" to webmasters when someone complains about how their quality has slipped since the company changed hands ;)

But---they all read and lurk. So keep the heat on. Even Van Staal is listening now. They no longer think of themselves as the company that sells itself :)

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
Doughboy

Going off the subject a little, have you had a chance to check out the "Slammer/Liveliner" series?

I got a live liner over the shimano, what a great choice, these reels are a step in the right direction for Penn! The reel's are balanced, and feature an aluminum body.... Very smooth.

If you havent, check them out, I never liked the SS reels and I love the liveliner that I bought.

Matt

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You have got that right Matty. I am going to be getting the 560 slammer, I am not a bait fisherman, for an 11 foot Med/Hev rod sometime in the next month. I like the all metal body and love the instant anti-reverse. I was acually just at the store looking at them on my lunch hour.

I am sure that I will love the reel because I have an 5500SS on a nine foot rod that I like and the slammer is much nicer. I haven't had any of the problems with the SS's that I hear from others. I have two and my father has a few.

I have also heard rumors about Penn making more sizes in the "liveliner/slammer" series. It will be good to complete the series. I would like a little larger one, but I don't want to wait and I have confidence the 560 will have enough guts.

Matty, if I read your prior posts right, you just got yours about a month ago right? Have you had a chance to "play" with it yet.

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
I think I got it in mid november, and I pulled a few decent fish in with it in Jones inlet, no binding or problems. This could turn out to be the best new product line from penn in years, they can win back people from diawa and shimano.

Great Choice!, and Good Luck!

Matt

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not yet Matty,

I want to check out the Freeport show for prices first. I'll be sure to let you know. The fishing in the middle of the island is slow, apparently unlike the city area, so I am in no rush.

I just spent my Slammer money on a new Silverado, that I christened today at Smith's Point. So I will have to wait a couple of weeks to save for the reel(lol). No birds or bait and very dirty water at the beach.

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
New Silverado = a lot of slammers,

Congradulations! king cab, quad cab... which one did you get? I have 3 kids, 3 boats, and I just bought a house in Bellmore. A new car, or even better Truck is out of my grasp right now. GM is always a good choice, best of luck...

Matt

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Matty, King cab 2500 HD. Enough to pull the boat or the camper. It is Pewter (champagne) colored, so if you ever see me, wave me down.

A girlfriend, no kids(except my lab) and low rent make it possible for me.

Three boats is a nice fleet. And you have a future captain for each of them.

This message was edited by doughboy on 2-3-02 @ 2:11 PM

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
King cab 2500 HD. , Sounds Great.

I'l have to stick with my 87 K5 for a while, I fish Demo and Montuak and the surrounding areas frequently starting March / April.... I'm still tired from last season. If I see ya I will give a wave, and once again good luck!

Matt

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just sold my '87 2500 suburban. It had a 3 speed turbo 400 that could haul anything or anywhere. but I blew the planetaries and didn't feel like fixing it. Before that, I had an orange colored '75 K20 with a Muncie 465. Another beast.

I finally wanted to stop spending the time and money fixing my trucks from all 4-wheeling I would do, so I got this nice new truck. Once, I blew a Detroit Locker out the day after I installed it.

I just got it on Thursday. So far I've had it in the mudholes on the dirt roads in Manorville, the Beach at Smiths Point and yesterday I hauled a load of logs to the dump.

So far I am very happy with the truck, powerful, smooth, quiet, and a throaty exhaust. My biggest disappointment is the bed. Yesterday with the logs I put a dent in the edge of the wheel well, inside the bed, that looks like I smashed it with a baseball. "Like a Rock" more like "Like Tin Foil". It times like that I wish I had my old K20. Even with all the bondo, the steel was stronger than what I have now.

Stick with that K5 as long as she's good to you. They don't build them like they used to. And, what does your truck look like?

Thanks again Matt,

Chris

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is first on the list of "Things to Get". I'll be getting it Rhino lined soon. Then fog lights for running the beach at night.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.