NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
232 Posts
My favorite is Fluke. I am not really sure why, I just think that they are fairly easy to fish for but it takes more skill to catch them on a consistent basis than other fish. I like activly fishing so while I enjoy catching bass as much as the next guy waiting for the chunks to run off isn't my thing. My least favorite is jigging for blues. I can't stand turning that reel all day.

· Registered
2,366 Posts
My favorite is fluke I enjoy the party boat trips the most. The banter among the guys makes for a great day of fishing. Least favorite are porgy, i don't eat them so they just get in the way when you are targeting other fish. But if you want to start a kid fishing they are the greatest. So take the kids and grand kids out for a few hours and start a new generation of fisherman.
Lou

· Registered
92 Posts
Least Favorite?

I may not be in the majority, but I love catching all see critters. But if you pinned me down, I would say my least favorite fish to catch is the Sea Robin.

As for my favorite, I would say Weakfish. Where I come from, they are the prize of the Sound and when you do hook into one, it's a great feeling.

Now most of my fishing is from shore, so my answers pertained to shore fish. Offshore, I would say Tuna is the best all around.

SF

· Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, Very interesting…

So far fluke seems to be the leading "favorite" species and the weakfish comes second… The expected Sea Robin is the "least" favorite followed by the Bluefish and porgy.

Now you got me scratching my head… How about the elusive Striper?
Where do you rank her? I would think it would be the #1 inshore favorite?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

· Registered
1,548 Posts
Hey Al, How's everything? Doesn't that lil smokin icon really look like me??? LOL

My least favorite species of fish is the dreaded oyster cracker. Those ugly critters scare me. Seems I catch way too many of them at some local haunts.

My favorite species??? Do ya even have to ask? togtogtogtogtogtogtogtog
Love to catch em, love to eat em!!!

· Registered
47 Posts
Hi Al,

My 3 least favorite fish to catch are:

1. Blue fish that mangle my Spro bucktail
2. Bluefish that cut up my last 6” Chartreuse Mugumbo
3. Bluefish that scratched up my pretty Yozuri popper

My 3 most favorite fish to catch are:

1. BUNKER! (good things are sure to happen)
2. Big fat bass that just inhaled the live lined Bunker
3. Mako – that just took the bluefish that scratched up my pretty Yozuri.

That about sums it up

Waveguide on the side

· Registered
577 Posts
most and least favorite

my favorite is tog hands down..lets face it i would not get up at 5 am on new years day to catch anything else , even if they were running...i love to **flounder fish..seems every march i get
****ed up waiting for opening day...
weakfish are great too..so let me stop
flapping and give you a top ten list....
keep in mind my tastes change with the seasons..
1-tog
2-flounder..(gotta work for em.love that
3-weakfish
4-seabass
5-stripers
6-porgys
7-fluke
8-bluefish
9-mackeral
10-anything else that bends the rod!!

we really should keep in mind that there would be a new top ten for offshore....be well
max
[email protected]

· Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hiya Gottog,

Oyster Crackers eh? Do you mean the "Ugly Toadfish"?

BTW: A tautog happens to be one of my favorite inshore quarry too! They are one of the most difficult fish to hook (Master bait stealers)and tough to horse from their structure! ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

· Registered
294 Posts
Most and Least

Depends...
Favorite to catch are weaks and tog because they are the most challenging, but it's tough to beat a great day catching big bass.
Favorite to eat have to be sea bass and tog.
Least favorite are those annoying blues and porgys.

· Registered
16 Posts
Most/least favorite

I would have to say the striper is my favorite, but the fight of a decent blue is a close second.

As for my least favorite, it would have to be the skate. Hate those buggers. If you want to talk about other creatures, well the spider crab eating my bait!

· Registered
106 Posts
best and worst

Best and worst
Offshore:
1.Tuna
2.Tuna
3.Dorado and White Marlin
4.Sharks- lots of $$ in the tournaments, makos are tasty

Inshore
1.Bass
2.Fluke and Seabass
Insore is basically a 3 way tie...I like to go out at sunrise and catch bass for a few hours in the rips and then fluke the day away on the southside,seabass are a bonus, ive never caught a weak but want to REAL bad, i hear they are great fun...never had an interest in blacks or porgies, bluefish are a nuisance but make great shark baits live and stripped.

· Registered
83 Posts
Favorite is the 'TOF all the way closely followe by fluke
I never caught a striper so cant comment.
And give me a sea robin over a skate but my least favorite is some slimy green SALAD complete with snails and hermit crabs (though its good eatin with some ranch dressing!)

· Registered
2 Posts
FAVORITE SPECIES/ NON-FAVORITE SPECIES

I'll rock the boat, here. I LOVE Blue fish!!! LOVE,LOVE,LOVE! Pound for pound, best fighting fish in the Sound, with the exception of Albies, of course, which, sadly, rarely come inshore at my "neck of the woods".(95% of my fishing is from shore.)

Stripers, especially schoolies, are tons of fun, don't get me wrong. And I'm not a total fool. I'd love to lay into a trophy striper. But sometimes reeling in stripers is like dragging in water-filled tire: one good run, and it's over. Still, a right fine fish, and a close 2nd choice.

Third, and only 'cause it's much harder to catch a keeper from shore, is fluke. A respectable fighter on light tackle, and hmmm, hmmm good eatin'!

Least favorite? Need I say it? SEA ROBINS! Yeah, yeah, I know, they have their place in the ecosystem, yada, yada, yada. But they make fishing bait from shore a real nightmare. Heck, I should probably change my Baitrunner moniker; I hardly fish much bait anymore because of them!

· Registered
3,127 Posts
Ode To The Fluke

I like to fish and this is the truth
My favorite species of all is fluke

They can put your patience to the test
But you will persevere with skill and finese
Hook and sinker,bucktail or killie
Mess up at the net,you'll be the ninny

So to me the fluke is the hands down winner
Just gimme the tasty fillets for my dinner

· Registered
1,621 Posts
best/worst fish

Favorite: Flounder hands down, waiting all winter long for St. Patty' to roll around, gathering together the tackle, rods, reels ,and hooks you worked on at the bench. Loading up with chum logs and mussels, sand and Blood worms. finding that favorite sweater suitable for fishing early spring just to get back on the water. I get such a thrill to feel that first tap/tap letting you know theres life back in the bay. The slow lift, the feeling of weight and the snap of your wrist. Then the fight of a thick blackback that doesn't want to come to the boat. I know then that life is good.

I enjoy catching most any fish including Robbins but I do have a worst type of fishing and even though it's one of the most productive I do not enjoy reeling in 300' of line off a trolled rig. The heavy rods and reels used in trolling wire or Lead-core take most of the feeling out of the fish fighting experience. tight lines / safe returns

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.