NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1972 Hynautic steering works well. Several seasons I did replace an arm. However, when it is cold out I see fluid leaking from the stern comtrols. I have a lever that changes the steering from the wheel to the tiller.It seems to be some kind of expansion in the cold wether. It has always done this. I am in mantaince mode now and can adress it if it is a problem. Does this seem normal. Then again most of what I do is not normal.

This post edited by MistyTom 09:25 PM 03/24/2008

Attachments

· Registered
243 Posts
I would check all the fittings and see if one is leaking. Moreland hose sells a dye that you put into the fluid tank and look with a lite. The leak will show up in a bright blue color under the lite. I used it and it saved me alot of time. found the leak in one day after putting the dye in.Its like C.S.I for boat leaks but it really works.

· Registered
356 Posts
I had a similiar problem onmy hydraulic steering wheel. In the winter I would get a stream of fluid oozing out from behind the steering wheel. I finally took the wheel off and there was a round plate and a seal around the shaft. I replaced this seal and the problem went away.

· Premium Member
67,033 Posts
Doesn't seem to be "normal." Is there a vent in the stern that would allow the fluid to escape? I would hunt down the leak, just to make sure it isn't something to be concerned about. I wouldn't want to be 100 miles offshore and suddenly loose all my hydraulic fluid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.