NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:
I want to get a couple of rods & reels for my boat for trolling lead core line with umbrella rigs. I think I want to get Penn Senator 113's but I need to know if it is better to get the regular Senator with the 2:1 retrieve or the Special Senator with the 4:1 retrieve? I was going to match them with the Penn Senator rods unless anyone has a better suggestion.
Thanks,
Joseph

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have both stes of ree/rod combos and rarely take out the regular senators. The high speed reels are FAR better for retrieving 200-300 feet of wire. The other reels are EXHAUSTING to take up that much wire. If you think that you aren't going to use that much wire, you are dead wrong, in order to be on the bottom in 30-50 feet of water you will definately need it and more.
Don't waste your time with the regular senators, you will definately be sorry.
I hope this isn't too strong but it's good advice. BOB

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had great success with my lead core outfit: Penn 320 GTi reel w/ 6' Penn Slammer medium rod. I'm so happy with it, I bought another one. The big advantage of the reel is that it is level wind. Lead core line is thick and it is easy to get screwed up on a nonlevel wind reel. The Penn 320 GTi is powerful enough to fight big stripers and blues "on the reel", which is very important because there is no stretch to lead core so you must keep the line tight or run great risk of losing the fish. If you "pump" the rod it is easy to get slack in the line. The Senator reel is even more powerful than the 320 GTi. This season I have caught numerous stripers, including a 46", 36 lb, along with many 10 lb blues trolling with this outfit. I am obviously very happy with this outfit. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Scoops. If your trolling lead core you might want the additional feature (and accuracy)of a line counter reel. I've been using the new Penn electronic line counter reel and the Okuma conventional saltwater line counter reel. Both are fine reels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.