NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a lathe today at a yardsale. I'll mostly use it for turning (sanding) cork handles for custom rods,but I'd like to turn out some plugs. I've done a few by hand and they came out pretty nice. The first one I tried on the lathe disinigrated. What am I doing wrong? Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
irish,

My first question to you is what kind of wood were you using? My next question is what kind of tools are you using? Some types of wood get shreaded on a lathe unless you slow down the speed and your tools are very sharp. I hope that helps! Let us know how things turn out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Probably causes

What it sounds like is that you have the tool rest poistioned incorrectly.

The tool rest should be about 1/4 inch away from your work and about the same or slightly less below the center line. (imaginary line running the length of the work in the exact center of the piece of wood)

The cutting tool should always have a slight upward angle to it as you use it.
Also make sure the speed of the work turning is correct.
It is also best to make cuts the length of the piece in small increments say 1/16th of an inch in depth at a time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.