NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did any of you other guys experence a very slow season for sharking last year? I found that Mid June when you usually see some big makos around that they were few and far apart.In the mid to late summer when pups averaging 60-100lbs are usually roaming the inshore wrecks,again not like the previous years.Then in the fall when we hear of some big 300-400 lb makos in the 20-25 fathom waters,I didn't see any reports at all of them.

"Fishing with an Attitude"

·
Registered
284 Posts
Paulie went out last year on July 22 (Yankee Wreck) and caught one small mako 80lbs. . Also went to montauk three times in sept. and caught severals blue sharks, From what I'v heard and seen, last season was slow. This year I'm going to put my time in P.S. Thanks again for the harpoon.|

JAY

·
Registered
299 Posts
We did a trip in late Aug. and had 1 mako pup at Yankee (about 60#). 2 other trips to Linda in Sep. we got skunked (One trip, a school of dogfish found and stayed with us). Reading reports and talking to friends It didnt sound like a big season. Heard of a few small Threshers and makos inshore. We plan to do a lot more this season, at least we will have a little more experience.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
We got out early in the season and found only blue sharks and blue fish (fishing the rockpiles/ virginia area). It seemed like there were more bluefish around last year, which hampered the fishing. Maybe the big makos were so well fed that they didn't feel the need to come into our chum slicks. The fall run never seemed to materialize. I think the weather (very few fishable weekends) and the tremendous bluefin run limited angler effort for sharks.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Made 3 trips last year due to the weather! Had a mako on each trip, but two were only about 4ft. The last one was about 6ft. fork length but lost him when he cut off on the trim tap on a last dash. Short(very) on the blue dogs, only a couple of very small ones, as compared to Year 2000 When had 8 the first trip of the season!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
We caught sharks last year. Blues, makos and threshers. Most trips were productive. On the least productive trips we blamed the weather because we couldn't get where we wanted to go. Somebody has to take the heat. It may aswell be Mr G or whoever. It does seem like there are less sharks each year. They breed slow and finning is stupid. It's a world wide problem trying to reduce the waste of a natural resource.

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The year before was a better year for us,we took a decent mako on every trip.Last year we had just a few small makos(80lb)and we dropped one nice fish about 50 miles south in the freeport tournament.
paulie

"Fishing with an Attitude"

This message was edited by B.Attitude on 1-28-02 @ 5:36 PM

·
Registered
643 Posts
spring seemed ok. a lot of makos taken in early to mid june but then it died. summer saw a lot of small mako pups. the fall was a dud. this is all inshore. canyon is another story. if you fish the canyon for shark you will catch a lot of nice 200 plus makos. overnight is execllent. but you cant have tuna too. they split when a big mako shows up. i lost two 250 plus makos on tuna gear in early july at the hudson.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.