NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a large fly box at somerset this season. It was the size of a large tackle box with foam and slits to pack up multiple flies for the boat or trip. I meant to go back to the booth and get it but ran out of time. Some flyshop in NJ was selling it. I can't seem to find it online. Anyone know where I can get one? I am pretty short on time for anymore DIY projects and would pay the $50 bucks I think it was. Thanks.

· Registered
11,581 Posts
If you're looking to store large flies a big Plano works well too. You'll need sleeves for the flies though. Look on Ebay.

· Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Big Fly Box Summary

Thanks all for the info. I'll collate what I found:

The Bears Den box is huge and just what I was seeking for the boat.

* Richie at Campsite has a guy who makes them and is currently out of stock, but expects some soon.

* Bears Den: 17.1 x 11.6 $54.99 double split foam (www.bearsden.com)

* Cliff 13.5 x 10 $39.95 slotted hard foam (www.theflyshop.com)

* Bonnand 13.5 x10.5 $39.90 foam (www.americanflyfishing.com)

* Ocean 13.25 x 11 $32.00 foam (www.watchhilloutfitters.com)

Attachments

· Registered
3,981 Posts
Not the same but....

Doc,

I store my electronics in these off season. It's a PLANO PISTOL CASE. They are similar to what you show and go for 11.97 on amazon. A little bulkier but they might work? You can even glue the thicker sheet foam into the top and bottom. They have it at Michaels and I've used it in VCR boxes which have held up pretty nice considering.

This post edited by hauler 06:34 AM 03/16/2008

Attachments

· Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rug rats got you up early on a Sunday Bob?

I love the idea for the electronics as i recall standing in my garage last December with VHF, Lowrance, and Clarion in hand thinking: Now where is a safe place for these. They ended up in my desk drawer getting knocked around a bit.

.....and now off to Salisbury Md for my kids lax game....er only 5 hours. Adios.

· Registered
2,911 Posts
I use plano boxes on the boat. I like the ones that have the rubber gasket to keep moisture out. I arrange the customizable compartments to handle different size flies and it works out well enough but sometimes flies will get jumbled up and messy looking and you have to dig through sometimes. I think finding an appropriate size box like that pistol holder that you could easily glue some foam into is a great way to go as this does keep things neater inside the box. I might give that a try.

· Registered
3,981 Posts
Anthony,

I'll bring my Pistol Box to the next meeting so you can see it firsthand. Some might think it's too thick for easy storage on small boats like mine:)

bob

This post edited by hauler 09:30 AM 03/17/2008

· Registered
567 Posts
I've found that a combination of storage devices work well together. On one's boat an easily accesible foam matt - one that attaches to the inner side of a windshield - works well for those larger flies that one uses frequently during a day's fishing. Anthony's suggestion of a box with a water-proof seal is a very good one for larger boxes that store flies in bulk. Good fly wallets also may have a place on boats as well...Check out the large fly wallet on FatCat.com It is a new novel design for larger flies the. The wallet can be used while wading or for boat storage.

· Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Large Fly Box- Bear's Den

I found what I was looking for...a large box to put in my center console holding a variety of flies ready to go for many situations. Here's a picture of it closed and loaded with this winter's ties with several from Ghostrider. The box has enough clearance so the flies don't get crushed down. I think I need to go fishing now......

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.