NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Capt. Neil:
I am experimenting with a lamiglas XC78MH blank. How many guides will I need to use and how far apart do I place them? The reel will be using is a lefthand crank Calcutta 400 levelwind. I was thinking of using 9 Original Fuji Hard Ring Guides(including the tip top) from the Clemen's tackle catalog(page 34). Should I go all the way and use the Fuji Concept SIC Low Profile Stripping Guides(page 39). There is a tremendous price difference. Is there a tremendous performance difference? Sometimes I use fluorocarbon line, but I never use braided line. Thanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Rockin,

On th XC 78 MH I would install Fuji BNLG type casting and spinning low frame guides (pg 38). You can also use the gold or chrome series. They work and hold up well.

For that length and style blank I usually use 8 guides, 20, 16, 12, 10, 10, 8,8,8, plus a tip top.

I "stress distribution test" each rod I build. Page 5 Clemens catalog. Each blank is a little different and need the guides in different places.

Can I assume you have a copy of "Advanced Custom Rod Building" by Dale Clemens? The Roberts Wrap is explained on pgs 197 thru 200.

I use my own version of a Roberts Wrap. The spiral wraps written about in RodMaker magazine use a differeent approach. Go thru archives on www.rodbuilding.com.

I haven't gotten involved with Alconite guides and the Fuji Concept.

If you need some help with the Stress Distribution Test, please call me at (631) 567-8049. I can explain it easier and quicker on the phone. If you would like to, come on over and we can set up your new rod in the shop.

Kepp me posted.

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil
(631)567-8049

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Rockin - you picked a great rod to experiment on. I love that rod, well the 7' version I have, but I rather have it 6 inches shorter. What are you going to use it for?

I made one huge mistake with my first 3 rods - I use hi-frame guides (Bhvlg)wrapped conventional and there is a good amount of tourque. I wish I had the time to strip these rods and wrap them all teh right way - Spiral style.

The guides Neil suggested are what you should use - I will offer one suggestion. Buy yourself a hi frame size 20 (Bhvlg) and a lo frame size 20 (Bnlg). This will give you the flexibility to keep the line off of the foregrip. This may or may not be a problem, but the line may touch when the rod is flexed with the NLG guide, and having the higher framed stripper on hand will make you happy if you decide you need it.

Also - once the transition is made from the top to the bottom, you can use all size 8's out to the tip. For the transition on my rods, I have use the high frame guide size 20 then dropped to a 12 and two 10's. I also spent about an hour test casting to make sure there is no line slap, and that the line does not rub on the blank when fully flexed - very important you do this. When I test casted I tried different placement and guide sizes until I finally settled on final placement.

Billy

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Captain Neil. Your help is greatly appreciated. Yes, I have a copy of Advanced Custom Rod Building, it was purchased at your recommendation a while back. I ordered the two back issues of Rod Maker Magazine discussing the two different versions of the Robert's or Spiral Wrap. The website www.rodbuilding.com discussed bamboo fly rod manufacturing and adventures of pursuing AAAA grade bamboo. When I receive my back issues and evaluate the differences; I will begin my experimentation process. How is your version of the spiral wrap done? Also, is it better to set up the rod for left hand crank or right hand crank? The blank must have some type of natural tendency, right? Thanks.

·
Registered
10,712 Posts
Rockin,
I start with the stripper(1st guide up from the reel) on top of the blank in its normal place. On the latest rod, a 7'Calstar, the next guide up is 13"s and offset to the left at about 60 degrees. 4"s above that is the next guide offset to the left at about 120 degrees. The next guide is up about 7"s and offset to 180 degrees. The rest of the guides are installed at 180 degrees(under the blank). If the reel crank is on the right I offset to the left. A balance sort of thing. And vice versa.

Each blank I install the spiral wrap on comes out different. I have no magic formula. The first guide at 180 degrees(under the blank) has to be at or before the 90 degree flex area of the blank.

As always test the guide layout so that when the rod is flexed(fighting a fish or casting) the line does not touch the blank.

Always a pleasure.

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.