NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Billy 40;4469908 wrote:
It's a good rod if you like a softer parabolic action. Many prefer a graphite rod since it's a bit lighter and is a little easier to work teh jig. I like that particular blank for Porgy fishing wiht up to 6oz.

·
Super Moderator
10,365 Posts
I would think that the very moderate action of that rod series would require a bit more wrist effort to make the bucktail hop along. Me pesonally, I'd look for something with a little crisper action - as Billy wrote graphite fills the bill here.

Look into the Shimano Clarus, Convergence and Teramar lineups or the St. Croix Premier and Tidemaster rods. Daiwa makes an excellent lineup of rods in their Heartland-S and X series - good quality and not alot of bux.

I like to use a set of custom Calstar GX-7s for 1-5oz ocean jigging. Mine are cut a few inches off the tip and the rear was then cut to give an overall length of around 6'4". My "ideal" jiggin' stick length.

If you want something lighter in action - maybe for the 1/2oz - 2oz class of shallow water fishing - then the afore-mentioned factory sticks will work fine without breaking the bank. I just don't see the need to go custom for this type of fishing, unless you want something really special. then it would make sense. But there's just too many super factory rods available to make going custom a necessity for this fishing.

I don't know where you live, but Causeway B&T right near me here in Wantagh, NY usually has a bunch of appropriate rods for sale in their "Markdown pail" - I saw some super St.Croixs in it last time I was there. They also feature a good selection of Shimano Teramar, Trevala (VERY slow actions on these) and Clarus sticks - plus the excellent St. Croix Tidemasters

Also, J&H in Oakdale usually can offer a wide range of well-priced lighter sticks suitable for this fishing. I saw a very nice Shimano Teramar stick there, last visit thru. It had that gorgeous translucent blue blank and some very good quality Fuji guides on it - it was less than $70, if I recall correctly. It would be an excellent choice for fishing the weight bucks you describe.

best, Lep

This post edited by Leprechaun 08:10 PM 01/20/2008

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Billy and Lep...I live in Jersey so maybe when I'm not watching my little boy I can head out and see what I can find.

Hey Lep, any chance you remember the model # of the Teramar stick you were looing at? I know Ramsey Outdoor carries a few and I might see if they have that one.

This post edited by dardyle 02:18 PM 01/20/2008

·
Banned
1,728 Posts
I like Lep's idea of a custom calstar GX7 ..But even better a custom 700XLH now that makes a great fluke bucktail rod.. A Shikari muskie blank or any good quality graphite blank would work fine..

·
Super Moderator
10,365 Posts
dardyle - sorry, but I don't recall the model. It was 6'6" and a featured an "MH" action. Really a sweetie.

I'll try to pass by there this week and see of they still have it or another of like properties.

Hey, being an "outside" salesman has to have a perk or two, no? ;)

Lep

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.