NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELLO,
I'm in the market for a new ROD. I would be fishing off the north shore of Long island and the rocks off of montauk PT for blues/stripers. I need a Low weight rod that will be able to cast 1.5 -2 oz buck tails a good distance and also a rod that would be able to handle braided or fire-line on the reel. I guess a rod with a good flexibility. I currently use a heavy 10' ugly stick w/ a penn 8500ss and I can't seem to cast those buck tails out to far.
I've recently spoken to some people about my dilemma and they either suggest the Lamiglas Surf & Jetty(10' XS10MHS)or the St.Croix BEN DOERR ELITE(10' ESS100M) surf casting rods.But ,I'm still unsure of which to purchase.. I was hoping some of you OLD SALTY FISHERMEN out there could give me some input.... Or maybe even suggest another rod that would better fit my needs.

Thanks

·
Registered
410 Posts
you cant go wrong with either rod
i have that # st croix and love it
its 7 years old and not one hic-up
the lami might throw a bomber
a little better
but.... the 8500 defeats the go light method,those rods are made for a 550ss or the 704z

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info fellas....

Two questions PLUGGER,I have a 6500ss reel as well,would this reel work ? Also, why would my 8500ss be a less favorable setup ?
thanks

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Both rods you mention are great but if you dont want to go for the big bucks check out the Penn Spinfisher Big game rods they are half the price and do a great job. I use an 11 ft med. hvy. with a 6500 SS spooled with 20lb fire line at Montauk, and a couple of 9 ft. med. with a 5500SS with 15 lb Fireline on the north shore. I had them for a few years now and they have caught a lot of fish for me. Its no problem to cast off the whole 125 yd top shot of line when useing bucktails.

·
Registered
410 Posts
please don't misunderstand
both 6500ss and 8500 are quality items,its the weight that will
prevent you fron getting the full benifit of the plugging experience
save the 8500 for slinging lead
nothing wrong at all with the 6500
except a bail wire.......

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
G Loomis surf series is great all around for the money, but between lami and st croix, the lami is better with pencil poppers. I have all three and have used all of them for a while and they are all great just try someones out if you can because there are so many diffrent models, light heavy fast etc.
But I really prefer the loomis for me it is light and has great action with the back bone to bring the big fish in. I do tend to agree that the 704z is a better match for any of them
except for the bail

This message was edited by mattyblazer on 11-4-01 @ 1:03 PM

·
Registered
831 Posts
The St Croix has a small, fast tip. Good for casting, not so good for certain applications, like pencil poppers. The Lami is more parabolic and is a much more versatile rod, IMO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I`ve used and abused a lami 11ft. 1M for years with a 704, then a 706 and
now a vs-300 with 20# fireline and love the set-up for Montauk plugging.
put bass to almost 30# in my `coffin` under the light without any problems.
The set-up will stop a truck it seems (they don`t call me NO-DRAG for nuthin`)
you can punck a 3oz. bottle or other heavy stuff into a wind and the hookset
is like cheating WHAM-BAM-THANKYOU-M`AM
tight lines........god bless the NYFD

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Have no experience with the Lami - however - love my St. Croix. Have the 8'6" Ben Dorr Elite Surf Spinning rod. Using a Penn 5500 spooled with 14# Fireline. I fish the North Shore almost exclusively.

Extremely light weight - can cast all day without wearing out the arms. Yet it's got enough strength to bring in anything I've managed to hook from shore. Tosses 1 to 2 ounce lures easily & quite a distance. I also use it to toss eels with equal success. Handles even lightweight lures & baits well (soft plastics, worms, clams, etc.).

Highly recommend it.

This message was edited by wader on 11-5-01 @ 12:23 PM

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have both a Lami, and the Ben Doerr rod. I use the Lami much more often. It is a much better rod for using a pencil popper under the light, and I believe it is more durable. My Lami is an 11ft, 2M I think, and with that rod, I can also toss a 6oz sinker with a bunker chunk. I can't do that with the St.Croix.

Good Luck and Tight Lines

·
Registered
742 Posts
If your going to spend the bucks I recommend the LamiglasGSB1201L. This is a 10' rod rated for2-6oz,but you will still get great feel with smaller North Shore plugs like the 4"Red fins. I would prefer the 1m for Montauk for a little better load and more power on the hook set,but you should do fine with the 1L. I would also buy a one piece for loading and overall feel purposes.Compared to all the blanks above I believe Lamiglass is superior and here is why. Lami vs St Croix--Lami has a far superior load and and yet slow enought to get those pencils working. My rod builder also informed me the it has superior graphite...Lami vs Loomis--I would stay away from Loomis. There tips are really narrow and tend to break. Also the load of a loomis doesnt compare to lamiglass. In the surf especially Montauk you want a rod that loads like a beast and yet has sensitivity-yet strenght --Lamiglass will fill your order in every way in my opinion.I would also get rid of the SS and buy a Z.They have lass moving parts and are easy to Maintain. If you fish Montauk your reel will most likely spend alot of time under water. The SS are a pain-I know I own several of them--buy the Z. GOOD LUCK

Bill Wetzel NYS Licensed Guide

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate all the advice fellas.
Now a question to the Lamiglas users....I can't seem to find that model Lamiglas rod(GSB120L)on any of the online fishing stores..Did Lamiglas discontinue the rod ? If anyone knows of a web site that carries the Lamiglas GSB120L could you please send me the URL..
Thanks ...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Yoyoo.

GSB1201L is a blank#. Try this # I got out of the Lamiglas 2001 factory rod catalog, spin, XS101MS, 10', 1 piece, 2-5 oz lure weight, 14-30 line wt, moderate action.

To double check this you can email Lamiglas at [email protected] or call at 360-225-9436.

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil
(631)567-8049

·
Registered
831 Posts
yo----you can probably find the Lamiglas XS101MS (as Capt Neil already told you, it's built on the same GSB 120 1L blank as Bill's customs) at Pro Fishing Tackle in Flushing. The components are pretty good for a production rod. The retail should be around $225 but I'm told you can haggle with the staff ;)

One other reason to favor the Lami over the St Croix----better components. The St Croix has Pac Bay guides and not enough of them (total of 4 on a 10' fast action blank). The Lamiglas has much better Fuji guides, fairly well spaced along the bend of the blank.

If you want the blank---they should be available at Sea Isle in Freeport---they have a banner ad that rotates with other advertisers at the top of the page on this site.

This message was edited by Mike P on 11-6-01 @ 8:24 PM

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Bill.

It is good to hear from you.

It has been a very good year for us. The reef outside the inlet has been fantastic this fall and still going strong. I have also had excellent trips with my grandchildren on the Capt Whittaker at Captree.

I wish we had a fall run of fluke on the south shore.

My surf casting friend is having a great time on the beach!! He is still after me to start surf fishing again. Hopefully next year I can get back into it.

Look forward to seeing you again.

Tight lines!!!
Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil
(631)567-8049

·
Registered
198 Posts
I use the Penn Spinfisher Big game rods and like them. I have used the 9' and the 10'6". The 10'6" will cast much further that the 9' but the 9' will work any plug easier. I snapped the 10'6" on a really big tarpon the Florida surf in July. I replaced it with two Loomis 10'6" - one rated from 1 to 5 oz and one rated 1/2 oz to 2 oz. The lighter model is a joy to cast and work plugs but does not quite have the backbone of the 1 to 5 OZ model. I then upgrade to a custom 2 piece (one pieces over 9 ft won't fit my elavator) Lamaglas 11' 1/2 to 3 OZ which it probably the best combination but its almost twice as much as the Loomis. I am not using my Loomis 1 to 5 if you want to try it out contact me at [email protected]. As for reels, break open the wallet on go for a Van Staal. I have a VS 150 on my lighter Loomis which is killer to use and a VS200 on my Lamaglass. Both reels will handle anything on this coast although it will not whench them in like a VS 300. Forget the Penn for serious plugging - to heavy. I use PowerPro 50 lb (12 lb diameter) and 50 LB Fireline on everything (including a 130 tarpon earlier this year) with no problems. I bought the Loomis after fishing with Bill Wetzel seveal times. As far the Loomis rod tip breaking that really only happens (often) with their GLX graphite- I know I own 3 of them and broke them a total of 5 times last year! The surf rods are tough - I have 3 of them and punish them all. So you want to spend $159 for a Penn, $225 for a Loomis, or over $400 for a custom Lamaglass?

This message was edited by onthefly on 11-14-01 @ 11:29 AM

·
Registered
831 Posts
You can do better than $400+ on a custom Lamiglas. The blank runs about $200 from Sea Isle. Then shop around for a decent builder who charges a fair price. It should only run $100---$140 for a basic wrap job and all the components.

The factory Lami 11' two-piece (I think the model number is XS11MS runs about the same price as the 11' Loomis SUR 1324.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.