NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELLO,
I'm in the market for a new ROD. I would be fishing off the north shore of Long island and the rocks off of montauk PT for blues/stripers. I need a Low weight rod that will be able to cast 1.5 -2 oz buck tails a good distance and also a rod that would be able to handle braided or fire-line on the reel. I guess a rod with a good flexibility. I currently use a heavy 10' ugly stick w/ a penn 8500ss and I can't seem to cast those buck tails out to far.
I've recently spoken to some people about my dilemma and they either suggest the Lamiglas Surf & Jetty(10' XS10MHS)or the St.Croix BEN DOERR ELITE(10' ESS100M) surf casting rods.But ,I'm still unsure of which to purchase.. I was hoping some of you OLD SALTY FISHERMEN out there could give me some input.... Or maybe even suggest another rod that would better fit my needs.

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought a Lami XS101MS. I can't say enough good things about it except I never knew what I was missing! It is part of their new surf & jetty series.10ft, 1pc Graphite,2-5oz lure,14 to 30lb.test line. I tossed with it for the first time this past weekend. Very good all around stick. I threw 1 1/2 bucktails as well as a 3oz. bottle. Easily goes 1/4 further than my old modified 10 ugly stik. I'm using a Penn 704z w/ manual pickup and 15 big game line. I carry an extra spool fitted with heavy braid for the jetty work where I may need to horse a good fish in heavy current. Love that stick. Ran me $209. A good price as per the Lami site.

Stick'em good!
Henry

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oh, BTW, If you don't mind me saying so, that 8500 is a bit big for a 10fter. A 7500 would be a little more balanced. Save the 8500 for the 11 or 12ft meat stick when you really wanna toss some heft. Could be most of your problem. An unbalanced outfit is not going to perform as well as tire you much quicker that a properly balanced rod & reel. Go with a 6500,7500 or a 704. IMHO.Just my 2 cents.

Stick'em good!
Henry

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Yoyoo.

Another good thing about the Lamiglas factory rods is that they spine the blanks before installing the guides. I am not aware of other companies that spine their factory rods.

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil
(631)567-8049

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yoyoo,
So very sorry for the one month late response!!!Been fishin!
I picked it up at Edwards sporting goods on rt58 in Riverhead. Rod was $209 and I felt so good about treating my self I picked up another 704 for $74 there as well. He also sells Hal Brown custom Lami S-glass there. Different action and a bit heavier than the grafite. They run a few bucks less~
"Have you hugged your Lami today?"
REDGILL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.