NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to take a trip up to Lake Ontario this summer to fish on a charter boat for king salmon. I've never done this before and have no idea about which guide service is any good. If anyone has ever done this type of fishing and can recommend a good guide, please answer this post. Thanks in advance........GHOSTRIDER

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Haven't been there for several years and dont recall any names. With that said lots of the charter boats and services have booths at the suffern sport show, and if you go you can gat a good idea as to costs, and type of boats you desire. The river trips are totally different than the lake boats. Totally different fishing, one uses downriggers and planning boards and the other drifts lures in the current or egg sacks. Either way lots of fun and action. Actually in the summer on charter boats will be getting action.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I haven't been there in a few years either but there used to be excellent fishing for browns, lakers and steelhead as well as a few kings thrown in. My kids have a few mounted fish in their homes caught up there. Charter services are in every marina so you shouldn't have problems getting a boat.

·
Registered
512 Posts
TK Charters
(do a google search, as I don't have the link here on my office PC) in Oswego.

My son & I fished with them in August '06. First class operation all the way. My son took a #33 (supposedly the second biggest caught in Oswego that year) and #26 and a #17. My best was a #22 out of my 3 fish limit.

I had to cancel this year's trip(s) because of a relatives wedding on the same weekend.

I know they usually have a booth at the Raritan Outdoor show in Edison coming up the weekend of January 9-13.

Best to book 2 days as the weather can get really snotty up there. When I fished there in '06 I did the late afternoon 8 hour trip in perfect conditions. Over night the weather changed and by morning my 6AM trip was canceled due to 40+ knot winds and seas 8-12'.

Also know thats it's pretty much a catch and keep fishery. Captain explained to me that since the fish are caught at or below the thermocline in cooler water after a long battle they can't take the warmer surface water temperatures and if released over 90% die. I believe the limit is 3 per man.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ghostrider,
August is a great time of year to fish lake ont. The kings start to stage in close to run up the creeks and and the stealies are usually available out deeper. Most captians will start in closer fishing for the 30ish lbs king then move out and fish for stealies, that after being hooked spend more time jumping out of the water than in the water.
Olcott harbor has some good captains as dose wilson harbor.
slice o life

·
Registered
51 Posts
August is the time for adult kings and I can recommend two charters out of Oswego. They are, www.hattrick-charters.com (my buddy mates on this boat) and also www.fishdoctorcharters.com (Capt. Ernie).These are no nonsense Captains that know there stuff.....Thanks, Greg.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.