NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Bayside just now, by Cross Island Pkwy side, and saw somebody on a white kayak on the other side, far from where I was. I am about to get my own and it would be good to know other kayakers in the area.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Although I presently do not own a Kayak, I have been to the Cross Island Pkwy area many times by bicycle. Yes there are many people who launch their Kayaks from the ramp there. Many of them park across the Criss Island and come across the foot bridge. Some use Dolly Carriers, and others just carry the Kayak.
From Little Neck Bay, one can fish the shallows towards the south, or the rocky coastline on the Great Neck Side.
Ft Totten is just north of the area, and provides challenges with many species of fish. I fish by boat in the area, and Little Neck Bay is one of my favorite areas to fish most of the summer.
The Marina at that area is open to all, and there is food, and rest rooms.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Luckyboy, I see signs posted now stating that Parking is by Permit Only. Before May, the signs are not there and you can park freely. I know, because I have done so. But after the beginning of May, you stand the chance of being ticketed at the least. Best to call the Marina and confirm this.

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you park at the Marina now you will get towed. It's parking by permit only. Only people that have there boat docked or moored there have the permits. Park at the Fort and launch it there. Your just a really short paddle to catching stripers and fluke mostly keepers plus all the bluefish you want.

·
Registered
1 Posts
About Little Neck Bya Access

Just a little more detail regarding one of the foot bridges across the Cross Island. There's one in Crocheron Park on the southeast side of the park. It's probably not as properly suited for kayak access to the water as the more northern footbridge by the marina. I know of this bridge from fishing that side of the bay a few years ago. You can get to that area of the park by taking Bell Blvd or any other main thoroughfare to 35 ave. If you continue east on 35 ave it changes name to Corbin ave. A bit farther and 36 ave spurs off to the left. Follow this to the cul de sac at the end just before the Cross Island. There should be a small pond on the right of the road. Up to the left you will see the foot bridge. The trick here is climbibg the hill to get up to the foot bridge. Just at the end of the cul de sac, the hill is very steep. Portage of the kayak here at the very end of the cul de sac would be difficult at best. I haven't been to this spot in a few years, so I don't remember any easier access to this "southern" footbridge. Perhaps there is a less steep path farther back west on 36 ave in one of the grassy open fields leading into the park. You can scout the area to find out. Also, launching into the water from this foot bridge area is problematic due to the steep, rocky shoreline of the bay itself at this point. High tide would mean less rocks to climb down. Dead low tide would mean being able to walk out on the sand flats and launch. You would have to walk a bit south along the bay into the reedy area to get to a less steep access point into the water. Either I've been a bit helpful, or I've sold you off launching from this southern footbridge entirely.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL

OK. I did not realize the Bay in Bayside is the L. N. Bay. I am learning...!

Mr. Jimmy, that is the spot I go all the time. The next overpass north is where the Bayside Marina is, at the end of 28nd Ave. That is the launching place.

I hope you join the sport!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.