NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12 ft Loomis bait stick with an Ambassador 9000 with 30lb test that snaps the knot joining the leader to the line whenever I load the rod with more than 5 oz of wt. Can anyone help me resolve this? Thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) I am using two surgens (where you twist 6 times and run it under the first loop and agian the top loop) 2) 40 lb test leader 3) 5 to 8 oz lead with cut bunker. This rod is rated for 6 to 14 oz so I was trying to cast it to specs. I also use 5 oz lead

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
457 Posts
I use a swivel between my running line & leader. It can handle weights up to 10 oz. (lead + chunk) without a problem. 30# test Berkley Big Game. I fooled around with different knots over the years, but always came back to the clinch. You can tie it in seconds with your eyes closed, and done correctly, it never fails.

Stephen Byrne
NY Bight Editor
Nor'east Saltwater

·
Registered
843 Posts
on the fly
Iuse a spider hitch/ then / tie a palomar knot/ to a swivel.
first tie leader with a palomar knot to swivel ,then tie the spider hitch side with a palomar knot to the other side of ths swivel.

a palomar knot is stronger then a clinch knot .

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you to everyone for helping me out. I ended up with a 50 lb shock leader which wraps around the reel enough times to absorb the kinetic energy generated by the rod load followed by palomer knots to a swival. Many thanks again also to the supreme surf guide Bill Witzel.

·
Registered
831 Posts
It's a matter of personal preference---but I don't see the need for a shock leader when your main line is 30# test. I've thrown 8 oz sinkers and a whole squid on a Harnell 552 with 30, without a shock leader. The line to leader knot is just one more thing that can fail.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.