NorEast Fishing Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
I am certain that Long Island will let Cape Cod take the lead on this one. Whatever they do, we will probably duplicate and improve upon.

These windmills are HUGE structures. Each is taller than the Statue of Liberty. In New Zealand, the offshore weather is twice as brutal, and they hold up well. Despite Chicago being known as the "Windy City", Boston is actually the windiest city statistically. The Cape receives the full force of that wind, if not greater. The engineers still have no question in their minds about how well these massive structures will hold up in the wind.

Is there anyone here who fishes under the Verazano, Washington, Throgs Neck, or Whitestone bridges who cares to comment on how solid those structures are and how strong the currents are when a good moon tide is running?

The technology to build massive structures in the sea is older than you think. The Texas Tower wasn't built using long-term thinking. It was built before modern waterproofing techniques and without a sophisticated computer-aided design.

searches and rotating closures

jmc,

i see what you mean about the discussion searches. i thought that noreast had figured out a way to link the old archives. you can still search the posted reports by specifying how far back you want to search.

as for the idea of rotating closures of reefs, wrecks or areas, i don't think that is a good idea. i think that would just divert fishing pressure to the open sites and make them more stressed. and then when a fresh site were opened, everybody would jump it and beat the **** out of it.

i would much rather see a new off-limits artificial reef be created out of nothingness, and have that site serve as a reservoir for spawning stock to repopulate all of the open sites.
besides, "making something out of nothing" is what some of these groups do best;).

I wouldn't mind them making an artificial that is off-limits permanently, but how do they patrol it to make sure no one is sneaking into the area?

I think that's one of the major problems that would face LI... Especially on off-limit reefs south of LI... Since they couldn't really watch the reef 24 hours a day, I would love to see some sort of major fine just for attempting to drop a line on the reef... Maybe in a $5,000+ range.

a windfarm offshore that might supply li with a substantial % of it's power, would have to have round the clock security, especially in today's world.
you wouldn't even get close enough to fish it.

Right now, the cross sound cable that is being put in from New Haven to Shoreham is under tight security.... I was down there last night watching this HUGE Norwegian ship laying the cable. Amazing ship!

Anyway, my uncle works for LIPA and he fishes the sound by Shoreham sometimes... As of now, once the cable is buried, you will not be allowed to drop anchor withing 300' of it. If they make a 100yd restriction for a power cable, you can imagine what they will do for a windmill farm....

I was thinking about this topic the other day and something occured to me. Rather, something kept bugging at me.

Why pick the Cholera Banks for the location??

From the Rockaways to Montauk there must be hundreds of square miles of 60 foot (depth) ocean to choose from as a site.

So why pick the Cholera Banks?
What is so special or unique about that piece of ocean that makes it ideal for this project?
What features to the Cholera Banks have that no other stretch of ocean for hundreds of square miles has?

I'm normally not the suspicious type but this smells fishy - to want to put such a project with all the area restrictions that would come with it, into such a well known and well used recreation area just doesn't sit right.

Thoughts?

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

good question, jaiem

lipa has scheduled a meeting for 6/25 at 11 a.m. at a still unannounced location for wind developers, environmental groups, and government agencies to move forward on the offshore windfarm. meeting will be open to the public.

lipa plans on 6 test sites on land to be up and running by year-end.

If you go, please let us know what transpires.

BTW, isn't Cholera (or the surounding area there abouts) also a known commercial lobster spot? Seems they too would be impacted by such a project.

Not to mention the possibility (inevitability IMO) that a vessel on approach to or leaving NY harbor would go off course and crash into the structures.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Jaiem,

You bring up some very good points. There is no doubt that multiple collisions will be inevitable (the NA (Nantucket to Ambrose) shipping lane is only a few miles away. Anyone who has ever fished near the NA buoy will tell you that it is a VERY busy shipping lane.

As far as the location, you are so right; why the Cholera Banks?? Why that area of the Island? Why not a little further East off of the Fire Island National Seashore. The area just East of the Patchogue Grounds, near Moriches Inlet is less travelled and won't be viewed by 99% of the population (you have to get on a ferry to even get there).

Discussion starter · #31 ·
In the Lipa report I found this photo. It's Lipa's computer simulation of what the view will look like from the Montauk light after they construct a windfarm 3 miles East of Montauk point. Apparently, the Cholera Banks is only the beginning. The potential windfarm area stretches from the Nassau/Queens border all the way around Montauk point and between the forks near Gardner's Island!

Attachments

Hello DoctorFish,

I am all for the technology but I am still a little perplexed why they would think of Cholera Banks?

Also, I am not sure if I like the idea of the OFF LIMITS! If that were to be true, I would be against it only because I don't think that is a strategic placement and it would cause a lot of resistance from us (Fishermen)!

"Crazy" Alberto
NonStopFisher@aol.com

Three miles east of the point would put it right about at great eastern. It would have to be a pretty small exclusion zone to accomodate all the boats making the run from Montauk harbor out into the ocean.

for more ACCURATE information about the location and design of the windfarm check out the link below.

Topic: Windmills off Jones'

the information provided on this post is INCORRECT .
the locations and facts mentioned are not what lipa proposed.

i am not sure where this information was obtained, none of it is mentioned in the proposal that doctorfish said he reviewed ?

For all those interested & willing to read a few hundred pages of technical info, check out LIPA's website at www.lipower.org. There are links on the main page to all the reports in PDF format. I skimmed a few myself & it's pretty interesting stuff. This way you can get accurate info "right from the horse's mouth".

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.