NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are thinking about going to the keys the last weekend in March does anyone know how the offhsore fishing is at that time?
And to you know a good Charter Boat down there?

·
Registered
665 Posts
I've been vacationing in the keys around that time for the last 10 years or more. It depends on if it's a warm or cold spring... March is a transition month. The Dolphin should be starting to run by then, they're large but tend to be further offshore near the stream (20 miles or so) The Tarpon run should be starting by then, they'll be in the channels and starting to get up on the flats. If you can wait until the end of April you'll have a better chance of success if there's a late spring, also the wind in March April can blow for weeks at a time so have a couple backup plans. Bottom fishing anywhere from the shore to the reef is good no matter what the weather is doing, bottom fishing is usually better when it's rough.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I went down to Islamorada the past two years at the end of March. First year we had great weather and great fishing. We got yellowtails, dolphin (one real big bull around 30lbs), blackfin tuna, some barracuda that kept harassing the yellowtails, a sierra mack, and some sharks. The second year it was a complete blowout. We couldn't get out past the reef line, even in a 40ft'r. The gulf side was like a washing machine as well.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
ifish42na wrote:
I have fished tarpon in Key West with an excellent captain, a super-nice guy and I've always done well. I would not hesitate to recommend Captain Bruce Cronin. Check out his website.

I am going to keys in a couple weeks.

I can't get this website to work, you got a web address?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.