NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to Key West and I might not have time or money to charter a boat. I want to wake up before the wife and sneak out at sunrise for an hour or two. Does anyone know any good spots for surf fishing?
I'm bringing some gear with me. I'm bringing a few crystal minnows, bucktails, poppers, tins, cocohoe's and wildeyes. Any suggestions on what other lures I may need?
I have attached a map of the area I will be staying.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
KEY WEST

basshole,

when i was a college student back in the 70's, i hitchhiked to key west and camped for a couple of weeks on an undeveloped little island called cow key, right before you get to key west.

cow key is probably packed with condos nowadays, but back then it was just me, mangroves, and a couple of incredibly friendly (but scary looking) doberman pinschers that were kind enough to guard my tent while i explored key west.

if you have use of a car, you may want to hit some bridges at night when your wife is sleeping.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
there is the bridge the gets you on the island and at night has 5-30 lb tarpon. fish at high tide with doa shrimp lures. can't miss! if you don't mind doing a little sneaking buy 2 packs of pilchards and start chumming key west harbor (the docks by the boats and resteraunts)with the first pack. with the second throw out a pilchard after 10 minutes on a 6/0 hook with no weight and hand on .there are tarpon there up to 200 lbs. one afternoon i was feeding them by hand. have fun.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow

feeding 200# tarpon by hand that's pretty cool.
Are there any issues with parking by the bridges at night?
Do I need to wade out at all or is the water deep enough that I can fish from the shore?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
i stayed at the holiday inn which was 1/2 a block from the bridge (cow key). you don't have to wade. you can fish from shore by the rocks or from the top of the bridge (cops never bothered me). the problem is you have to walk the fish on the ledge to shore. just jig the shrimp lure at the edge of the light and the tarpon will shoot out from the darkness as bass will at the big m.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
excellent

Thanks Flybyme!
I'm leaving in the morning. I'll try the shrimp. If tarpon fishing is like bass fishing at the big m I'm sure I will hook up. I just hope my little 7 foot travel rod and problematic nautil will hold up to some big fish.
Hopefully I will have some pics to post when I get back.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Definately do the tarpon feeding thing if you can. Lots of fun. Watch your fingers! ;)

2 years ago some friends and I went down to Key West for a couple of days of tarpon fishing in June. Supposedly that's the peak tarpon time there. And supposedly we had booked 2 of the best known guides in the area. Overall, I was not impressed with the fishing. I know the guides can't help it but I feel we were feed a line before we got there. Lot more tapron around the marina than we saw on the flats. Just got a couple of jacks and sea trout.

I realize that's fishing but I'm no rush to go back.

Good luck!

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.