NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I keep about 50 Stones and Greens alive till Sunday, it's Friday night now, and tomorrow is looking like a washout. Any ideas? Don't have any seaweed so that's out of the question, what will work? Or since I'll be chopping them in half, should I just freeze them?

·
Registered
37 Posts
jmc...
you'll be surprised how long crabs can stay alive!
the way I do it is when I'm done crabing,I fill a
5 gallons bucket with sea water to take with me home.I keep the crabs in an another bucket and just use the sea water the next day or so to wash them & then empty it keeping the crabs in a clean dry bucket.leave them outside when the weather is not below 40 degrees.you'll lose just a few that way.on thing to remember,if you see one dead one,take it right away and dump it :)
hope this help..
hookem_cookem

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks hookem, I know there is a limit on Blue crabs, but was unsure about the Green and Stones so I only took 50... Is 50 the limit? If not I could've easily taken 200+ tonight... I got all 50 in about 30-45 minutes... I use a small 2sq ft trap, pulled up one time after it was sitting in the water for 10 minutes, had 13 Greens, 8 Stones, and 19 Spiders.....

·
Registered
189 Posts
Also you might try wet newspaper or wet rags ontop of them to keep them moist. Thats how Lobsters and Softshells are transported also. But keep them outside while its cold enough. Away from the critter in the night.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
jmc91881,

Keep as many green crabs as you like. They are not native to our shores and displace other crabs (blue) when compeating for food. Someone told me this once. Also be on the look out for any Asian Shore Crab, Hemigrapsus sanguineus and kill them ffast.

http://www.whoi.edu/seagrant/research/fa/0002.html

I keep green crabs in a 48qt cooler with a drain. once every few days I would fill the cooler with fresh sea water at the dock and pull the plug. The water will turn brown quickly as the crabs eliminate their wastes (not going to the bathroom kills them, they can only go in the water). Keep doing this a few times till the water stays clean. The dead crabs will come to the top and take these out. Drain all the water and cover with seaweed or eelgrass. Leave the cooler in the shade with a small crack in the lid to let some air in.

You can almost keep them for weeks doing this. The stone crabs die within a day or two so use them first if you like them over green crabs. I prefer greens unless the bergalls are thick.

Capt. Marc

This message was edited by Capt. Marc on 10-7-01 @ 4:20 PM

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
Thanks Capt Marc for the education. I had no idea that green crabs are an exotic species that were introduced here around the Civil War.

On a hunch, I checked with my Asian friend who is a seafood expert and found out that green crabs are edible and have a consumption rating equal to blue claws.

As the species multiplies out of control, it's only a matter of time before a lucrative commercial market is esstablished.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.