NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Santa brought in a large influx of sailfish the the north Palm Beach area. Reports of sails balling ball in less than 50 feet of water have come in this week. The average boat is releasing 3-5 sails per trip, some more some less.

Most of the action has taken place north of Palm Beach Inlet. Most boats seem to be concentrating in 100-200 feet off the Juno pier.

Bait has been scarce, which is typical around this time of year. You can either buy bait or get up at 3am and try to locate and catch goggle eyes before the sun comes up. Gogs and going for $60 a dozen.

Another alternative is to catch blue runners. Troll small bucktail jigs just behind your prop wash in 15-30 feet. Rock piles along the beach will generally produce enough runners to get you into a sail or two.

Merry Christmas to all! See you on the water.

If it doesn't have fins props or hooters...Count me out!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Gamakatsu I have these rigs . In the last three years I have did these trips unfortunatly have not been able to get any ..Sailfish king , tel Numbers would be great . Thats what I am looking for , Contacts . I watched last year a guy get 15 nice Muttons and a couple of Grouper with fresh goggle eyes . I studied this guy but the boat bait just would not do it . Tried small runners ,grunts , ballyhoo ,sardines and some fresh filets of bonita . Caught fish but nothing like the goggle eyes . Got my hands on ONE headhalf of a goggle eye and lost a nice mutton at the boat .This year I want to be prepared .
Gamakatsu , By the way you must have saw some great trip's huh .I'm always open for some tips . The fishing is quite different as we have up North.
MIKE TUNA

This message was edited by MIKE TUNA on 12-27-01 @ 7:58 PM

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the live bait guy out of Jupiter, "Mr. Sportsman", Eric Wetterman 561 575-9065. He works with the guys out of Palm Beach as well. If there is any hope of getting fresh dead gogs, these are the guys to talk to.

The cruise ships in around the port of Miami holds goggle eyes, but after the bombing you need to be cateful getting too close.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
There is also a guy by the name of Ed Wheeler at Hillsboro Inlet (between Boca Raton and Pompano Beach) that sells live gogs. I will post his number if I can find it.

Gamakatsu

This message was edited by Gamakatsu on 12-28-01 @ 3:03 PM

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sailking, Happy New Year, Has the sailfishing picked up in the last few days? Also, are goggs any easier to come by? By the way, what is the temp. in Jupiter now? Up here in Ct. we might make it to 30 degrees. Wish I was there!!! steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.