NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Kayaking thing is really starting to interest me. I live in Valley Stream and don't drive. So the only fishing that's readily available to me is a short trip to Long Beach on the Long Island Rail Road. So I mostly am limited to fishing Magnolia Pier. When fishing is off there, I'm screwed. It would be nice to have an opportunity to go where the fish are for a change. I've never seen a Kayak in person up close, but how big are they? I wonder if they'll let me take it on the LIRR or are they that much bigger than they appear to be in the pictures that I've seen of them in the water?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not sure about the kayak thing but have you tried the beach for stripers. I live in ong beach and the surf fishing can be great there. During the spring the whole beach is yours, during the summer you are limited to stay near the jetties, Many crowded beach days in the early summer we catch noce fish right along side people swimming. Kind of freaks em out too.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
You might also consider a folding yak or an inflatable, both of which are portable.

I have a folbot Aleut which is great for fishing - ultrastable. I'm going to pick up one of the new Feathercraft inflatables (SOT), they're awesome.The UNO is only 25 lbs and can be packed into a big backpack. I've paddled the Java and it's amazing technology for a portable kayak - as fast as many fiberglass boats due to the internal frame and design.

Keep in mind that these are a bit more money, but hey they're portable.

A used Aleuts can often be found on the Folbot board.

good luck.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
You might also consider a folding yak or an inflatable, both of which are portable.

I have a folbot Aleut which is great for fishing - ultrastable. I'm going to pick up one of the new Feathercraft inflatables (SOT), they're awesome.The UNO is only 25 lbs and can be packed into a big backpack. I've paddled the Java and it's amazing technology for a portable kayak - as fast as many fiberglass boats due to the internal frame and design.

Keep in mind that these are a bit more money, but hey they're portable.

A used Aleuts can often be found on the Folbot board.

good luck.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. What type of a pump do you use to inflate the inflatables, is it portable, how long does it take to inflate? Are there any good Kayak fishing web sites and magazines that you can refer me to?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
To answer your question, the Feathercrafts come with a 2 way pump. It takes about 5 minutes to pump up. Total setup time is 15 - 20 minutes. If you want to see them in the NYC Metro area check out NY Kayak on pier 40 as they are a local dealer and have a Java there.

Don't forget that you have to take special precautions with an inflatable when you're flinging around a 7" plug with a set of razor sharp hooks. If you're the careless type I wouldn''t advise it.

If I had a place to store it and a suitable car I would probably use a Cobra Navigator or one of the other plastic SOT's as indeed they are easier to rig up for fishing. But as an apartment dweller who won't be denied the total rush of fishing from a yak I've found the folding and inflatable yaks a good alternative. Plus if you travel you can take your boat with you.

Sites? Do a search on google. Don't want to ruffle any feathers here as I'm grateful that this part of the Noreast board has been opened, period.

Inspite of what some others may feel, classes are a good investment . You can learn proper stroke technique, safety, navigation, and rescue techniques (don't need to eskimo roll a SOT) that make you better prepared for a wider variety of conditions. Again I would check out NY Kayak in the city if you're in the metro area, or some college recreation departments.

good luck,

raregroove

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.