NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just another resource to consider.

Empire kayaks in Island Park does kayak rentals, sells a variety of kayaks and supplies, and offers a 2 hour instruction course including self rescue-wet reentry ($50). When I called them last fall they also said they have a few yaks outfitted for fishing (not sure of the details there). They have a launching site right there and are accessible to the LIRR Island Park station.

I'm going to check them out to take a few friends out who don't have yaks yet or haven't gone yak fishin.

Could have good potential for newbies who want to try it before commiting to buying something.

Again I haven't been out there yet, just checked the website and called them on the phone.

raregroove

·
Registered
353 Posts
I ended up buying my kayak from Empire. They were both patient and informative. They will allow you to try any model they have in stock. When you narrow the choice down, you can rent one for a few hours.

Peconic Paddler is another great resource, again, you can try anything they have in stock, no obligation, no pressure.

Don't let some salesman tell you what YOU are comfortable in. YOU are the leading authority of that! Don't buy until you are comfortable.

Flounder

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just my opinion ...

but I can't stand the guy who owns and operates Empire. He has been rude to me every time I've been to his shop. When I want to buy something, he acts like it's an imposition for him to get up off his ass, er, stool and help me out. I no longer buy anything from him. I know other people who have dealt with him and I have yet to find someone with something nice to say about the way he deals with customers.
Anyway, that's been my experience. Because Flounder has had exactly the opposite experience, it's clear that YMMV.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Floete I never had a problem there. They were both very kind and courteous to me and my wife. They run a great shop. I bought my kayak from them(Empire Kayak). I got mine new for a lot cheaper than you could get from anywhere else. They will come down on the price if you haggle with them. They know there stuff and like stated above they have a lot of different kayaks already set up for fishing. They have a launch that I can use anytime I want to use it and its in very fishy water.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.