NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
I would have to know more about the type of fishing you do but I would say a good bet would be the Cobra fish-And-Dive, the thing is an aircraft carrier and you wont tip this thing over, a friend of mine is 6'6" and 315 and he paddles it. I will try to post a picture of it, if you are interested in getting one email me I might be able to get you a good price on one. [email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
Kayak fishing for us big guys

Hi Magilla,
I fish quite a bit from my kayaks and have 2 of them. I'm about 265, and alot of these boats cant handle that. I have a Cobra explorer, which is just like the fish N' dive that joey is suggesting, as well as a Necky Dolphin. The Cobra is stable, but it flexes a bit when I am in a little chop (because I'm not a lightweight either). The Necky Dolphin is not as stable, but once you get the hang of it it's easy to fish in any condition. It's definitly more ridgid and faster. The dolphin is more expensive the the cobra as well though. (450.00 vs 850.00 approx). I'm happy with the Cobra, but the dolphin was a good upgrade. Good Luck, it's a lot of fun!!!
sboyd119

·
Registered
295 Posts
cobra explorer

Hey sboyd....The explorer is a great kayak, in fact it was my first fishing kayak. Some people who are taller have problems with the leg room of the explorer, in fact that why cobra came out with the navigator which is just like the explorer but a little longer.
How do you like that dolphin?, I know a few guys who have one and it looks sweet.

joeykayaker

·
Registered
2 Posts
Best Kayak

Magilla,
One of best boats for a big man is the Cobra Fish n Dive. Im 6'2" and 200lbs and the boat could easily support another 100lbs. Its super stable and I've never come close to tipping it over.Since I do my fishing in the ocean off the South Shore and like the security of having a stable platform. If your new to kayaking or heavy its not hard to tip a narrower kayak. The extra width makes it a little less responsive and tougher to hand carry but I think the trade off is worth it. It also has a tank well that is great for putting a cooler or gear. Because I never wanted to drill into the hull my setup for trolling was to take a cooler drill ahole in the top and insert a standard boat rod holder in the lid.I than I bungeed the cooler in the tankwell. It works good. I'm thinking of trying a ScupperPro Tankwell so I may possibly sell my rig if your interested. Good luck.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hi Joey

I love the Dolphin. I tipped it my first time out testing the boundries, and once accidently, but that was it. I am aware of the decreased stability from the Cobra, still. But I can go much further on it than I can with the Cobra. By the end of last summer I had it down pat; I'm not goin' over unless I get waked by a boat and I don't see it. I suggest new guys use a leash for your pole, cause losing one stinks. The cobra is a little easier to fish bait off of, because it has a bucket in the hatch, and the hatch-top is more accessable. I have never flipped the Cobra. If I want to cross the bay and go east a bit though, gotta take out the dolphin.
Steve

·
Registered
295 Posts
hey tal...alot of guys who fish litte neck are in pungo's, they are a great kayak, stable and easy to transport, also make a pungo lite which is the sam yak just 9 pounds lighter but not going to be good on then south shore going through the surf unless you have a glassey day. They are both sit in's and it is a proven fishalbe kayak. If you feel you want to go through the surf I think the cobra explorer is for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
cobra explorer

here is the explorer also, I have a soft spot for this kayak because it was my first and caught plenty of fish all over, everybody loves this kayak, infact I sold mine after using it 3 years and lost like 150 bucks-no bad at all. joeykayaker

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Used Tourer

The Tourer is my open water kayak. Not only is it a good big guy kayak its also the best small guy kayak in this class. The reason is because its only 50#s so the smaller guy can load and unload it. That's important because if a kayak is too difficult to handle in transport you'll find yourself not fishing nearly enough. I know several gusy who don't fish as much as they did because they didn't consider this.

My buddy Derrick paddles a Tourer and he's 6'5" and 315#s! He sinks most kayaks. When he tries to sit in an OK Scupper TW it becomes permanently attached to his butt and he sinks it. Another buddy uses a full sized suburban to transport his kayak. Anything heavier he couldn't get on his roof by himself.

Cobra's are expensive, but they're lighter. Sometimes weight becomes the most important criteria in making a decision. The money spent could save money that would go to the chiropractor (lol).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey Jon and Ed (mrsinbad).. great to see u here! This board is growing nicely (good work jojo)! ps... I think chris should hook up with u jon so he can sit in the the boats and develop a feel for each model..hmmm models do u have any of those in stock that we can feel ??? lol.

·
Registered
315 Posts
You can narrow down your choices by doing your due diligence, and I highly reccomend it, but at some point you just got to get on the water and paddle. There's jsut one problem. You don't have any experience and the first day on the water is similar to the first time you rode a bike. Each time out gets better.

I have taken many beginners out for there first kayak fishing experience. I like to pur them in a very stable kayak. This way they're safe and I don't have to worry about them. this allows us to go fishing and so they can see what kayak fishing is all about. We discuss where they want to use it and all the particulars that go into making a decision. I make suggestions of some of the kayaks that I feel would suit their needs. What I strongly reccomend is that beginners purchase a kayak that lots of kayak fisherman are using. There's a reason these models are popular with fisherman. Its because they work as fishing vessels. All of us are different and we have different needs. Many kayaks are similar in design and concept. For example in a longer SOT that fishes well there's the Necky Dolphin, Cobra Explorer, Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro and the Wilderness Systems Tarpon. Each do essentially the same thing. Each ahs certain things it does or features which some are going to prefer over others. Its just like buying a full sized truck. Lets say you wanted a 3/4 ton. Chevy, Ford and Dodge all have a model. Yes they're different but they have much more in common. Purchasing one over another comes down to personal choices of what is more important to you. Now getting back to the kayaks in our group of touring SOTs that fish well. If speed is your #1 criteria than the Tarpon and Dolphin are the ones to look at first. If its weight than the Tourer wins. Price, definately the Scupper. Touring and camping plus fishing, the Tarpon. So use a little cmmon sense, do your due diligence and hook up with others and see what they're using and find out why.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.