NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mr. Crazy,

1)Any comments on how the surf fishing is going to be in the JB & Robert Moses area. Taking into consideration weather and tides this week. What days and times you think would be good.

2)Any good book references you can offer discussing reading the water, correlation between tides, moon cycle etc. I have read StriperSurf and The Surfcaster. Just started surf fishing this year. Trying to absorb all posiible information concerning surf fishing.

3) Whats a good party boat for bottom fishing in the Freeport/Pointlook out areas. Montauk is a little too far.

Thanks
spacegh8st

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hello Spacegh8st,
Yikes? That?s a lot of questions to ask on one thread. OK, let's go!

To answer your first question? Being that we are going to have a cold front (North & NE wind) moving into our direction? The fish are really going to feel the chill and head south faster! At this time, there are lots of mature bunker, few peanuts, sandeels and spearing around the inlets and they will definitely be heading from the Robert Moses (Fire Island Inlet) and through Cedar, Gilgo, Tobay and Jones Beach shores. Being that the moon is reaching its fullest point and the high tide (Saturday) is approximately 1:47 am? I would work the RM areas during the first few flood ?. And by the time it starts to ebb, (approx. 5am) I would scout the Cedar ? Jones shores lines. With the Northern wind behind your back? you should be able to reach a great distance! Also ? don?t discount the first light phase? because this is the time where you will see pods of bait (look for working birds) and the fish should not be too far away.

Answer to your question #2. Since you are learning the ropes? I strongly recommend that you read as much as possible. It is also very important to learn from the ?local? sharpies such as Fred Golofaro, Doc Muller, Nick Karis , Ron Arra (Power Surfcasting) and so forth. You can learn a lot and when they talk about certain spots? you will know exactly where it is. In addition, read the local magazines and find out what?s happening in your area. All in all, there are so many ways you can learn!

I also strongly recommend Mike Laptew?s videotapes. His tapes are extremely informative and it will reveal fish habitat, behavior, techniques and much more!

Now to your question #4. Well, there are many excellent party boats that will turn you on to fish. It also depends on the quarry you seek. Whether its tuna, fluke, stripers, porgies, flounder, tog, cod ? it all depends. Personally I go where the action is? and unfortunately it requires some travel. For example, if Mass. is loaded with codfish and Montauk is just picking? What do I do? I rather take the extra drive to bend my rod. If the seabass were thick in NJ, Brielle, I would go there! But that?s just me? It is also very important to be abreast on what?s happening in you local waters? This time of the year? anything can happen. There could be a big bass migration just due South of Sheepshead bay... A big body of codfish just moved into the Jones reef... or a big school of chopper blues chasing herring in front of the JB inlet? anything can happen and it all depends which boat goes where.

I hope I've answered your questions.

"Crazy" Alberto

·
Registered
3 Posts
Alberto,My new book is hot from the press is out, with much more info.including new casting techniques, all the old and new bucktail jigs,eel skin rigs and Stan Gibbs first lures that he made and so much more in this 144 page book .called THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO SURFCASTING....a personally autographed from me, total cost $24.00....Send check or money order to> Ron Arra 13 Bosuns Passage East Sandwich Ma.Cape Cod, 02537 Best Regards,Ron e mail> [email protected]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hey Ron?
How are you buddy? Please send my regards to Curt Garfield and congratulations on your new (improved) book! Based from your description, it is very informative and it must be a must to all surfcasters! If it is anything like your previous (sold out) version? I am sure it will as successful!

Also ? Are we confirmed with next year?s fly tournament? Please let me know!

?Crazy? Alberto

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.