NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When John Baker's new 12 came out first, I thought the reels might be a good choice for jigging cow or big bluefin.
But the problem was I couldn't see the reels myself as the reels are available only in West Coast.
I had a chance to talk with John Baker this evening and asked many questions about the reels.
He said the 12 is exactly same as 80 inside, but smaller. So the small 12 has the same free spool as 80 does and not much binding problem even on 30 - 35 lbs drag at strike. He also said the reels are designed to have about 45 max drag at full, but the drag can be increased by using different cam if needed.

John agreed to send me all three new reels and I send back the reels which I don't buy. I am going to post my review of the reel after I get those reels.

Patent pending toggle switch for high to low gear
-Gear Ratios - 5:1 high and 2:1 low
-Double disc drag system capable of 40#'s of pressure @ full!
-Grade 5 Stainless Shielded SAPPORO Japanese Bearings (not Chinese...)
-Heat treated stainless steel gears, cam and pinion shaft
-14 Point Double Dog anti-reverse
-Proprietary Carbon Fiber U.S. made drag washers for smoothness and heat dissipation
-6061-T6 aluminum construction on frame, spool, sideplate and clamp
-All exterior components are hand polished, both stainless and almuminum
-Lever drag control with finite notches on sideplate to eliminate lever arm movement from boat vibration
-Big Game style clicker
-Precision ground stainless steel friction plate with minimum 32 Rockwell hardness for high loads and consistenly smooth drag performance at all ranges
-Easy 5 screw takedown for maintenance
-Proudly designed, manufactured and assembled in the U.S.A.

JB 4 30 ounces 350 yds 80# hollow Spectra $439
JB 6 33 ounces 450 yds 80# hollow Spectra $459
JB 12 36 ounces 550 yds 80# hollow Spectra $479

This post edited by KILSONG 07:06 PM 01/29/2008

·
Registered
509 Posts
anyone wanna buy a 665 2 speed?

those specs are really impressive, especially if the weight is reasonable and its easy to move the lever at 45lbs of drag.

i'm only half joking about ditching the accurate.

This post edited by dhoperos 08:42 AM 01/30/2008

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dhoperos wrote:
those specs are really impressive, especially if the weight is reasonable and its easy to move the lever at 45lbs of drag.

i'm only half joking about ditching the accurate.
David,
I still prefer star drag reels for tuna jigging for average sizes, but I had three issues when I fought a 250 lbs yellowfin on a star drag reel for long. One is the star drag reel got hot. The handle of my Saltiga 50 got frozen and I suspect it was related to the heated reel. Second issue was I couldn't give more pressure while the tuna were circling under the boat by giving more drag. With lever drag reels you can give more pressure than at strike once tuna settle down under the boat and can shorten fishing time tremendously.
The third issue was all star drag reels are single speed with mostly higher gear. While fighting big tuna over 150 lbs, the lower gear has definite advantage over higher gear.

Since then, I have been looking for a powerful, but small lever drag reels for jigging big tuna and Accurate 665 two-speed is the best reel I can find. Even though a lever drag reel is not convenient like a star drag reel while jigging, you can appreciate the lever drag reel while fighting tuna.

John Baker's new small reel can be better suited for cow jigging than Accurate 665 two-speed if its freepool and binding problems on higher drag is better than or equal to 665 two-speed. The weight of the Baker reel can be an issue, but I can manage it for a few hour jigging.

The Baker reels can be also excellent choice for bait fishing for tuna.

This post edited by KILSONG 12:44 PM 01/30/2008

·
Registered
4 Posts
JB 12

Back in Oct. I ordered the JB12, which I did not recieve until around Dec. 20. Upon inspecting this reel I noticed that the shifting mechinism did not engage properly. When shifting from High to Low gear, and vice-versa, it would take a few turns of the hanndle before this reel engaged. At times it never engaged, and I was able to turn the handle with out the spool rotating, most times I could hear the gears grinding against each other. I returned the reel, and was told that repairs and upgrades where completed, and the reel was on its way. Well recieved the reel last week and it is still doing the same thing, needless to say I am not a very happy camper. I have decided to purchase an Accurate 665/2speed. Might give the JB/12 another shot, when the kinks are ironed out

·
Registered
336 Posts
Same problem with me. After playing with it I found that by not "babying it" it worked better. Twist it hard and it engages better. Who knows, it might work better under a load. I have not fished mine yet but will in the next two weeks. It is a very well machined piece of equipment. I plan on using it for a chunking reel for YF's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
John Baker reel

Kilsong, did John tell you if he has plans to produce a larger (50W??) model in the near future? I sent him a letter asking about this. BTW, he sent me an e-mail about the shift problems and he said he has changed some things to make it smoother and more positive shifting. Looking forward to fishing with these reels. Will order soon as I get my tax refund back!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I noticed in the picture that your gear shifting knob is anodized gold. Mine is not.Fished my JB12 this weekend, and besides the shifting issue, I really like it. The drag was very smooth. I'm going to send mine back for the free shifter modification. My goal was to catch a YF on it, but it didn't happen.:(

I might be returning to the floaters again this weekend. If so, I will take the Baker with me.:)

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I visited Basil's.
JB holds 450 yards of 100 lbs JB hollow braided line with some room for topshop. I think that is good enough any tuna under 250 -300 lbs.
Turning handle is not bad, but there is some binding problem to move lever drag.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Has anyone fished any of the Bakers since this posting? ANy word of the reels changing. I am working on finding a new reel for the winter since the Accurate is not up for the challenge that I want to do. Thanks

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
capttrav wrote:
Has anyone fished any of the Bakers since this posting? ANy word of the reels changing. I am working on finding a new reel for the winter since the Accurate is not up for the challenge that I want to do. Thanks
When I talked with John Baker last time, he said new single speed JB 12 was ready with new handle design. The single speed 12 is about $100 cheaper than the two-speed and the weight is under 30 oz.
I am going to get the reel soon and report my review of the reel.

·
Registered
187 Posts
KILSONG wrote:
capttrav wrote:
When I talked with John Baker last time, he said new single speed JB 12 was ready with new handle design. The single speed 12 is about $100 cheaper than the two-speed and the weight is under 30 oz.

Kil is this a experimental reel or is it released for public. I think I want the reel you talk of.

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
capttrav wrote:
KILSONG wrote:
capttrav wrote:

Kil is this a experimental reel or is it released for public. I think I want the reel you talk of.
He made them for public, but I don't know they are in the market or not. I'll find out soon.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.