NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Mets paid a high price in prospects to land Santana, agreeing to send the Twins outfielder Carlos Gomez and pitchers Phil Humber, Deolis Guerra and Kevin Mulvey.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I am a bit shocked, I really thought the Mets were blowing smoke all this time when in reality they had no desire to pay him the kind of long term money he is hoping to get.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
barney116 wrote:
Awesome deal. Paid a high price but they need him. Deal still pending physical and working out a contract.

They gave up unproven players for a proven player the way i look at it the Mets got the better end of the deal

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
STRIKERTHREE wrote:
barney116 wrote:
Awesome deal. Paid a high price but they need him. Deal still pending physical and working out a contract.

They gave up unproven players for a proven player the way i look at it the Mets got the better end of the deal

True, very true.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
barney116 wrote:
STRIKERTHREE wrote:
barney116 wrote:

True, very true.

I like Carlos Gomez I think he has what it takes to be a super star outfielder he out of all of them traded was the best prospect. Theres nothing saying when gomez becomes a free agent in the future if he does become a star the Mets cant try and get him back

This post edited by STRIKERTHREE 05:29 PM 01/29/2008

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Only thing that bothers me is the Mets don't have luck trading for Pitchers from Minnesota can anyone say Frank Viola we gave up Rick Aguleria who turned out to be 1 of the best closers of the early 90's

·
Registered
24,271 Posts
STRIKERTHREE wrote:
Only thing that bothers me is the Mets don't have luck trading for Pitchers from Minnesota can anyone say Frank Viola we gave up Rick Aguleria who turned out to be 1 of the best closers of the early 90's

I was thinking more of recent top ranked lefties, like Mike Hampton. Didn't have a contract extension on him, but later he sucked anyway.
Cedeno didn't do much later, but Dotel was a great setup man for Wagner.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
If I was a Twins fan I'd be making molotov ****tails right about now.
Not that I'm not glad that he's in the NL....but if they dealt during the winter meetings they could have done much better. Somebody over there should lose their job.

On a happier note...I don't see how Yankees fans can be happy about this either. Santana would have filled a big void and they didn't close the deal. The difference between a World Championship and another playoff choke?.....maybe. The Sox offers were all smoke and mirrors (see my earlier posts) because they didn't NEED him to either win a Championship or to put asses in the seats. Actually, a while back I was really convinced he was going to the Angels.

Surprised Minaya the headline hound did this deal the week BEFORE the SuperBowl......maybe he's also a Giants fan and just wants to ease the agony of defeat. lol

OK...it's over...on to the season long CC Sabathia debate.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.