NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an avid fisherman.From smallmouth bass in Maine to black marlin in Panama I have been incredibly fortunate to experience some of the world's greatest fishing. As a commercial rod and reel fisherman in Montauk(when such a thing existed),I have caught numerous 50lbs. plus striped bass as well as giant bluefin tuna exceeding 800lbs. On then sweetwater side I orchestrate two annual fishing trips, one to Lake Ontario an another to Maine. I have been running these trips for over 15 years.Having fished my entire life I also pride myself in keeping up with the latest tackle, techniques and technology.HOW CAN I TURN MY KNOWLEDGE AND PASSION FOR FISHING INTO A CAREER?

·
Premium Member
68,838 Posts
Bass,
I have a background very similar to yours, everything from pinhooking porgies to giant to the canyons. The short answer about a career is that you can't. You can make some money during the season, running a charter boat, being a bookng agent, buying and selling fish, commercial fishing. During the winter you might pick up a few bucks repping for the tackle companies. But I certainly wouldn't call any of that a career! Maybe you could do better smewhere there the fishing lasts all year long?

===MakoMike===

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Mako Mike. You don't think working as a salesperson for a tackle manufacturer would cut it? Done the charter thing,and as you very well know pinnhooking for anything is so regulated to say the least,there's got to be a way to make a relatively decent buck in the fishing industry. Why don't we start a T.V. show?!!!!!! I wish. Well anyway I'am going to give it a shot. Twenty years commuting into the city is enough! Any and all suggestions would and have been appreciated. As they say its not allways what you know but who you know.Take it easy Mike .

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
You can try writing artilces, photos, get a website (I know a good web host), try to get on the seminar anc club circut. But don't quit your day job just yet. :)

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Banned
32 Posts
HELP WANTED:

NEW ENGLAND CHARTERS is seeking hard working fishermen for a life of adventure and daring do on the high seas of Saco Bay, Maine.

Daily activities include the challenge of preparing the boat to meet the rigors of hundreds of thrillseeking tourists that will flock to the docks with money in hand as well as taking pride in the cleanlyness of a finey swabbed deck.

A humble attitude of serviture is helpful when dealing with the aftermath of maldimear and tolerance & fortitude of stature is compelling.

Rewards will include all the T.I.P.s that can be solicited plus a tidy hourly stipend.

Irregular hours with limited opportunity for future growth and a seasonal nature of employment of a tempory style.

All applicants please forward resumes to
Capt. Walt
[email protected]

This message was edited by CAPTWALT on 12-5-01 @ 6:17 PM

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Capt Walt.

Have I got an applicant for the "JOB".

Worn down BUT not out, bald, slow, has a few stories, no records, can still fillet(only a few bones), Just had both eyes operated on so I can see the ladies and wrap rod guides less wavy, Capt doesn't have to worry about this mate catching the lady fares (toooooooo slooooooooooow and ugly).

The capt might have to call 911 and the USCG for medical assistance at any time.

HA!!!! LOL!!!! UGH!!!

Thank you for the great pictures of the Scouts fishing trip. Beautiful place to fish. I loved the trout plaque.

Take care Capt.

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil
(631)567-8049

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Capt. Walt,
That sounds just like when I was working on party boats, only you forgot few other benefits such as:

The delightful smell of unburned diesel in the morning.
Clogged heads
Rotten bait in your fingernails
Daily backlash practice

Hmmmmmmmmm, when can I start?

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Gamakatsu,

What a team?????

Do you think he has blackfish up there???

Is it too cold up there for the ladies to wear bikinis?? Maybe we can get Capt Walt to bring the boat south?? Never tooooo old to look!!!! HA!!!

What a day!! We should have been on a tog boat. Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil
(631)567-8049

·
Premium Member
68,838 Posts
Bass,
I know a guy who used to rep for tackle companies, Penn was one of them. He quit and went went to work selling other stuff, because he couldn't make enough with the fishing tackle. Good luck with whatever you decide to try.

===MakoMike===

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Mike. Boy some of this chit-chat sounds like the VHF radio on slack water. God bless us all. In any event I got two interviews set up already. One actually sounds pretty good! I'll know more by Friday but dammit at least it 's a good start. I will persevere,I hope! I'll keep you posted. Let's hope the action is not less than sporatic! Later.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Bass123 back to your orig. question;
Comon this is a multi billion $ industry/hobby.

On my direct tv dish deal theres the Outdoors channel & I often watch Fishing shows with guys like Bill Dance and many others whom made a career out of thier vast knowledge of the sport.

Also an example of local boy made good is Rich Johnson. From his informative website to his television show, to pro. guide services and seminars this guy does it all & I bet makes a nice living at it.
What about a Tackle shop owner? or Charter boat Capt.?
Maybe write novels about your adventures ala Hemingway!!!! ok that ones a littkle weak.
How about a seafood resturuant specializing in your own catches as the "catch of the day".
Seafood market maybe?
How about a Tow boat service, these guys make a fortune all it takes is a couple of " salvage law" tows and you can make 50K in 2 days, { some of those old maritime laws are often exploited }
Theres big bucks out there to be made around the Boating/fishing hobby. Im considering a change from the ole NYC commute soon and might try something else myself. And I bet I dont have half the experence in the fishing end of things anyways that you do.
You know who makes a fortune ? Woodcleft Fishing station " Richie " . Location location location. Find yourself the right place for a Marina that gasses up big boats, sells fresh bait, and offers sound advice on how to catch em and your in. Its also seasonal around these parts so you work your ass of then have 3 months off in the winter.
I dont agree that someone with your knowledge in this sport cant make a living at it with the right plan and effort.
Why not catch some of those giant bluefins and sell them to the Japanese for sushi? Huge dollars there. Excuse my ramblin post... but the point id theres many avenues to be explored.
So Long, Alan

Alan

This message was edited by Scalawag on 1-4-02 @ 11:06 AM

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Bass123, I hear ya. A couple of years ago my brother and I thought the same thing. After commuting for over 20 years and tired of it all,how can we make money in this industry? We love fishing, been doing it all our lives, have a boat, travel to fish, watch all the shows, etc... This was a tough queston to answer considering that you need to break in to the industry yet generate enough revenue or income to match or exceed what we were currently making.

Well, we came up with the idea of an 800 number for fisherman to call into to receive the latest reports from our region. This was before the advent of fishing sites on the net. The idea was for party boats, charter boats, bait shops etc... to call into us with reports everyday and we would compile and put them on the hotline (in fact it was called "*************'s Hotline"). In return for the reports, we would give free plugs to the participants. Money was to be made from the calls. $1.99 a minute or whatever... This was tough to get off the ground b/c marketing and advertising costs are high and it placed a great deal of time constraints on us. It was hard to do it with a full-time job also! At the same time Rich Johnson had the "fishing line" radio show and just starting expanding. P.S. Rich busts his butt and probably doesn't make a helluva lot of money yet...

Anyway, I still think it's a good idea. Plus my wife thinks I should do a TV show like Bill Dance, Hank Parker, etc.. Man, some of those guys are boring plus they don't do many saltwater shows.

I'm sure there are other guys with ideas like ours but can't find the time or money or resources to get it started. Give credit to those that run the boats, bait shops, tackle reps etc.. b/c they are busting their hump for something they love to do! I think it's too late for me. I'll just "fish fast" on the weekends!!
good luck!

Fatal Attraction

·
Registered
612 Posts
whats the matter mark ? you dont like to watch hank parker throw the same spinner bait EVERY show and catch the same fish EVERY show on his overpowered row boat. i think they shoot the hole season in one day and they just have him change his cloths....LOL

tight lines...Anthony

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
Fishing may be a multi-billion dollar$ industry but I'm not aware of too many fishermen/women who made their millions in the industry (buy a fly - please! :) ), certainly not over night. There's boats and motors, tackle and bait, party/charter/guide services, magazines/books/TV and radio shows, videos etc. etc etc. I think it's a factor of billions of dollars$ but a little here and a little there. No one big source.

I know Rich J. works very hard at his business. He's at nearly all the fishing and boating events in the NY/LI area, he has his TV and radio shows, his Newsday column, website, seminars, etc. I don't know the details of his arrangements regarding his boat, tackle and such (it's no ones business what they are anyway) but it probably isn't as sweet as you think. Running your own business is never all fun and games. You never know the real head aches until you're the boss! :)

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
bhm25, hey Ant, I'd rather watch a brown bear catch salmon swimming upstream than Hank Parker or Bill Dance catch the same **** 2 lb bass every week. But, a fishing show is a fishing show and it's better than nothing!

looks like these NW winds won't lay down enough to hit 17 fathoms...

Fatal Attraction

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Ive got an Idea...A fishing website!
Maybe call it Northeast fishing or something like that , Jaiem guess Im just an Optimist, 15 yrs. of commuting to NYC will do that. I think theres more $ on the marina end, marine supply, repair sid of things..

This message was edited by Scalawag on 1-5-02 @ 10:04 AM

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
Scalawag - I hear you! Been doing the NYC commutte for most of my career.

Marinas and supplies might be a good field. Not that familiar with it. Just seems awfully expensive to get into.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
22 Posts
bass123:
I think there is definitely money to be made in this industry but ultimately it comes down to how much you can manage to invest without putting you or your family at risk.
Definitely the one good thing you have on your side is your experience and knowledge. Along with that im sure comes a network of people that you've met along the way which is definitely another major factor for success.
If you've got the money, I dont think you can go wrong opening up a tackle shop at a strategic location. Someone said it earlier and i completely agree that location is key! Living in Queens all my life i would say there is definitely a shortage yet a high customer base for tackle shops between Bayside and LI. How bout Northern Blvd. in Douglaston or Little Neck? And if your budget is low I would suggest getting creative and doing something that nobody else does yet requires less capital. Like maybe a Bait & Tackle delivery service for a specific region? perhaps a consultant /organizer for local schools or organizations to go on fishing trips.
Again, I do believe this sport presents many different opportunities particularly for those with experience like yourself. Good Luck!

PS I run a Creative Consulting Company handling all forms of advertising for retail businesses from restaurants to recording companies from websites to print material. Should you need any assistance in that department, I would be more than happy to help you out in your endeavors in any way that I can. Best Wishes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.