NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pass the winter by tying jigs and flys. I build the whole jig from head to tail (hehe). Terminal tackle in Kings Park, Long Island, has a great selection of materials for all lure and rod building. They have bodies of plugs, a wall of jig head molds, all the hooks for the molds and lures, paints and powder coat, and lots of tying materials. They also have rod blanks. I get the lead for the jigs from recycling centers. Turn in some scrap metal and trade it for lead. Just becareful of the lead pipes. They are often full of other junk too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I also make my own bucktails. The only problem I have is finding the best way to break down the lead into more managable chunks. I have a Lee production pot which only holds about 10lbs. I have 2 50lb lead ingots which need to be broken down. Any ideas.

·
Registered
981 Posts
if you have a saw-all or by hand with a hack-saw.you can cut down to smaller size.

Go easy with the sawzall on the lead...speed increases friction, friction generates heat & heat and lead do not make good partners. If you're sawing it maybe you want to do it outside...I use a hacksaw and pour water over the lead to reduce heat...(I know, I know...it's overkill, but lead can be nasty stuff & it makes me feel better) :)

Jerry Vovcsko,
East Bridgewater, Ma

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A saw is the best way (Don't breathe the dust). I used to use a hatchet to cut the pipe. Once I wound up with an air bubble trapped in a section. It got hot and blew up, splashing lead everywhere. Luckily I wasn't near it.

This message was edited by doughboy on 11-20-01 @ 8:09 AM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another way to get the lead into smaller ingots is to melt it into small aluminum dish with a propane torch. Do it outside or under a good exhaust hood. We do it with an acetalyne torch, letting it drip into a metal pan. The pieces are small enough to fit any lead pot. Just watch the fumes!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Springman26
I dont know how much lead you melt, but I puchased an outdoor propane cooker and a cast iron pot (attached photo below). I purchased it at Bass Pro Shops for around $36, probably less then your unit. It melts the lead in no time and large quantities two. I get lead pipe from a crane operator in NYC in large pieces. I cut with a hax saw and melt to the form of the pot. You may want to look into this if you melt alot of lead.

always gottafly

·
Registered
157 Posts
Jat56

If you know any construction workers who dig up the streets,( especially NYC streets) they are allways diging out lead pipes. Or you can goto your local scrap yard. You can by by the pound there.

always gottafly

·
Registered
206 Posts
gottafly,

thanks, Is lead expensive and would you know of a bbook or web site that can give me a how to on how to make weights. I need some hobbies for the long winter coming.

thanks

jat

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jat56,

We're starting up an online version of the "Tackle Making Encyclopedia". Tackle makers from all over have been contributing. So far we have a ton of info on soft plastic making and wire bait making and we're about to release a new section on hard bait making (crankbaits, etc.). If you're interested in learning, you might want to check it out: www.tacklemaking.com.

As far as books go, you really can't beat "The Complete Guide to Tackle Making" by C. Boyd Pfieffer. It covers lead molding and a ton of other topics. Great book to start with. My only problem with it is that it does not explain the "WHY" behind tackle making - meaning that it does not tell you why to add a metal lip instead of a lexan lip, why to use red instead of blue, etc.

Hope that helps,

- Erik

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.