NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I found this board from a link on another site and I got to say that it has a lot of different and useful information and it fills a lot of the gaps not found on other sites.

I would greatly appreciate help in looking for a multipurpose set up for jigging cod and tuna in the 100-150 range. I would like to stay on the lighter side without having to rebuild the reel should we get bit by a tuna on the upper limit.

I will be using the set up on my own boat with usually only my son and myself aboard. My only other requirement is that it has a gimble.

Lastly is there any advantage of a narrow reel to prevent wobble and 2 speed vs 1.

My price range is in the vicinity of $500 or so.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
For cod jigging you need relatively long rods. 8' Jigging rods are pretty popular among serious cod jig fishermen.
For tuna jigging, the opinions are vary depeding on their favorite jigging techniques. For traditional tuna jigging on the East Coast is to use long rod as we do for cod jigging. Many guys use the same rod for cod and tuna jigging. If you like to jig with long rods on your boat, I would say 7' lengh is a good compromise.
However if you like to use Japanese style jigging, the shorter rods have better advantage. Some guys use as short as 4' for tuna jigging though such a short rod is not suitable to normal cod jigging.

For both cod and tuna jigging, the best reel sizes I found are 3/0 and 4/0 even for 150 lbs tuna. You need lighter and smalller reels as long as the reels have enough line capacity and are strong enough, as cod and tuna jigging regurie long hours.

For jigging, narrower spool has definite advantage to reduce wobble, but two speed is not necessary.

I suggest to buy quality products even it cost more, especially for tuna jigging.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KILSONG wrote:
For cod jigging you need relatively long rods. 8' Jigging rods are pretty popular among serious cod jig fishermen.
For tuna jigging, the opinions are vary depeding on their favorite jigging techniques. For traditional tuna jigging on the East Coast is to use long rod as we do for cod jigging. Many guys use the same rod for cod and tuna jigging. If you like to jig with long rods on your boat, I would say 7' lengh is a good compromise.
However if you like to use Japanese style jigging, the shorter rods have better advantage. Some guys use as short as 4' for tuna jigging though such a short rod is not suitable to normal cod jigging.

For both cod and tuna jigging, the best reel sizes I found are 3/0 and 4/0 even for 150 lbs tuna. You need lighter and smalller reels as long as the reels have enough line capacity and are strong enough, as cod and tuna jigging regurie long hours.

For jigging, narrower spool has definite advantage to reduce wobble, but two speed is not necessary.

I suggest to buy quality products even it cost more, especially for tuna jigging.

Thanks for the advice and the many options.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.