NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHAT WOULD BE THE IDEAL SPINNING ROD AND REEL FOR JIGGING FOR LI SOUND FLUKE? AND WHAT KIND OF TERMINAL TACKLE SHOULD I USE? I DO MOST OF MY FISHING ON THE PARTY BOATS OUT OF SHEEPSHEAD BAY BUT WOULD LIKE TRY JIGGING ON THE JAMES JOSEPH. ANY IDEAS ? THANKS

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
digitalguy

Hi,

I would bring 2 rods. A light one for shallow water in the bay, say 2 oz or 3. A medium rod to handle 4-6 oz in case you are in deeper water or the current is running strong (in the sound).

I try to fish as light as I possibly can. They catch some big fluke so be prepared.

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Capt Neil. I was wondering if you could reccomend a spinning reel and rod for the lighter weights. I currently use a Calcutta 151(left handed)Reel w/ a St. Croix Medium action rod and would like to go much lighter.

G

·
Most of the time that you want to jig, you will be in very protected waters. Sandbar, inside the harbor near the long boat docks, just outside the harbor near that roundhouse thing, etc. A light, stiff 6" spinning rod with 10# line should be fine. Anything tougher that those conditions (deeper than 30') and you better know how to bucktail. There was an interesting SWS TV show about this style of fishing featuring Rich of R&G.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I jig all the time for fluke in the sound, I use conventional set up penn 965 on an ulgy stick, I use Jigs fron 1/2-5 0nce. When he goes deep you will need big jigs, Note we had a 9.5 pounder on 1/2 once jig. Good luck and tight lines.

Bob

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I use a 6.5' Graphite USA blank with a Penn 712z reel and 12 pound test. Yeah, I know the reel is old fashioned, but the new spinning reels (less Van Staal) just don't get it for me. This setup is ideal with jigs up to about an 1 1/2 ounce and I have caught some very nice fluke on it. I am currently having a Calstar GX-7 rod built that I am planning to use a Calcutta 400 or comparable reel when the conditions call for a slightly heavier jig.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Gamakatsu

Hi,

Good to see your post.

Wait till you use that Calstar GX7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is great on the ocean reefs for sea bass , porgys and sm blacks. Many other fish also, like maybe a 10#+++++ fluke. There I go again, dreaming!!!

Next one for me is a Calstar GXF 700.. Can't wait to swing blues with it off Port Jeff. A lovely bass would be just fine but not to be swung!!

Am going to wait till Monday to start the flounder season. Not as crowded I hope.

Take care,

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
i use a baitcasting rod, quantumn reel, 12lb test, 3/4 oz leadhead with a grub and a spearing. rich from [email protected] showed me this manor of fishing and it works well. it out produces bucktails by far. on my boat you sometimes have to go in reverse to slow the drift. if you go out on the joseph bring the two rods depending on how you are fishing. the main thing is to use florocarbon line. it makes the difference. good luck to all.......

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Do you mean fluorocarbon line or leader? The water's so dirty in the sound I wouldn't think it would make a difference. Do you find it helps with chunking? Also, with the grub and spearing, do you pause and let the fluke take the bait or hit it when you feel the tap. Thanks in advance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.