NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Kevin Again. I am asking how do you jig for bluefish and what part of the tide I should fish?
I am speaking of the North Fork. (spots would help))
Kevin

This message was edited by nivekelly on 3-4-02 @ 4:08 PM

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Wow... you are full of questions today.:)

FYI: When asking a question, it is a good idea to be ?specific? with the location you plan to fish.
This case... I am not sure which area you are planning to jig, are you jigging from the shorelines, boat, fall, etc...

Another words, the more specific you are... the more detailed information I can give. ;)

Thanks!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
293 Posts
Al - on the topic, what would be your preferred setup for jigging off a boat in deeper water in the western sound (mostly mid-sound depths)? Do you use mono or braid? I would think a glass or composite rod would be advised over straight graphite - I could just see the rod blowing up. What style jig and size do you prefer in say 40-50ft of water with a moving tide? I know anything shiny will probably work, but what has the best presentation. How do you prefer to work the jig? I have heard that some people who use mono will tie direct - no leader. What are your thoughts? How about with braid? I gave jigging a shot last year for the first time and had a blast. Thanks again for the advice.

MC

·
Registered
10,712 Posts
Porgy Man

Hi,

You arew right jigging bluefish is a blast.

I ran a bluefish boat on the sound for 6 years. We used 40# mono with a plain 4 0z. diamond jig tied directly to mono. It works and the jig appears more natural in its motion.

Yes, you do lose jigs by blues biting the line. If you constanly check your line for nicks, cut off bad line and rety jigs, you will save jigs and boat more fish.

Have a ball.

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
PorgyMan Wrote:

?What would be your preferred setup for jigging off a boat in deeper water in the western sound (mostly mid-sound depths)? Do you use mono or braid? I would think a glass or composite rod would be advised over straight graphite - I could just see the rod blowing up. What style jig and size do you prefer in say 40-50ft of water with a moving tide? I know anything shiny will probably work, but what has the best presentation. How do you prefer to work the jig? I have heard that some people who use mono will tie direct - no leader. What are your thoughts? How about with braid? I gave jigging a shot last year for the first time and had a blast. Thanks again for the advice.

Hello (PorgyMan) MC,

You are right about the risk of rod blowing up when using graphite tipped with braid! I would do the following to prevent this? A combination of a glass rod with braid?-OR - a graphite rod with mono. Also, since the new composite rods are designed for braid usage?. I would also consider a composite with braid but lighten up a tad on the drag.

What style jig and size do I prefer in 40-50ft of water with a moving tide?
That?s an excellent question! Well, assuming that I am ?drifting? for the elusive stripers, I use an assortment of jigs (based on the bait and condition) from a heavy Cripple Herring, Charlie Graves, Diamond jig or a simple Bucktail with porkrind.

I know anything shiny will probably work, but what has the best presentation. How do you prefer to work the jig?
Yes, that is true just about anything shiny will work... but as previously mentioned? ?Depending on the condition and bait? I use a few types of jigs. Let me explain.
If there are spearing, sandeels underneath, I would use a diamond jig (with a tube).
If there are peanut bunker, herring or thinker mackerel? I use a Cripple Herring or a Charlie Graves.
If there are squid, bunker, porgies around? I use a heavy bucktail.

The KEY is to locate the bait and to figure out the depth the bait swims. Once you located them? try to work that column line.

If you are working a Cripple Herring or a Charlie Graves, simply drop the jig to the bottom and take three cranks on the reel and start jigging up and down.

If you are working a diamond jig? drop to the bottom and start jigging up to the reel and repeat.

If you are working a bucktail? keep it close to the bottom (bounce up and down)!

Do I tie direct?
Yes, with the exception of the bucktails (I use a heavier leader to prevent it from blues chop off). I tide direct to the jigs (Like Capt. Neil said? It gives a natural look but watch for line knicks and kinks)!

Hope this helps. :)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
186 Posts
i reaching back in time for this one but here goes,when i was 16 or so just out side of port jeff harbor at bouy 11 the blues where thick but the bait they preferred was a scotty's rig.this was a set up like a mackeral rig but instead of tubes you used japanese feathers and bluefish hooks.well when the season first started they were about 2.50 but as more and more people started using them the price took off.well it got to be to much for myself and my good friend jerry.so on the way in one dayon the beach on the east side of the jetty there was a very large flock of seagulls,so i had an idea to walk the beach and pick up as many feathers as we coukld find.that night we went to jerry's house and painted the feathers all different colors using model paint .of course the feathers had no movement like the originals but when your young and healthy arm movement can bbe a good substitute,well the home made feathers on our home made rigs worked just fine ,at the bottom of the rig you tied a diamond jig .the blues as i recal were 4-6lbs and sometimes you had double or triple headers,**** we were using baseball bats with 40# test line.but that was some of the best jigging i ever did and i think what made it even better was the fact that are homemade rig cost less than 25c and a diamond jig
i also remember years later being out in the same 16 foot mfg with a 40 evinrude with mty wife and three sons in basically the same spot jigging and if let the lure go down about 30 feet and engage the reel and turn the handle you caught a nice size blue but if you let that same lure drop all the way to the bottom you had a very good chance of picking up10-12 lb weakfish,as i recall they were even bigger than that but if i told you what i remember you'd think it was just a fish story instead of the truth and nothing but the truth

·
Registered
844 Posts
Captain Neil has some good advice for you. I generally use 40 pound, or more often 50 pound mono. I try to bring along an assortment of sizes of unadorned diamond jigs from 2- 8 ounces (without any tails). I will use the biggest one that the fish will bite as the heavier jigs will get down to the strike zone faster. You will need to experiment each time as some days the fish only respond to small jigs and other days they only want the largest ones. I also try to keep one or two of the hammered jigs in my tackle box and will try them out if the fish do not respond to the regular jigs with the plain finish. One last thing, stripers are often caught alongside with blues, so bring a ruler and only keep one striper that is at least 28 inches.

Good Luck

·
Registered
252 Posts
On the subject of diamond jigging from a boat in let's say 40' of water... do I retrieve the jig to the top or try to match the retrieve to the depth of the fish in the water column? Is the retrieve constant or jerky? What's the best technique?

·
Registered
14 Posts
if your looking for the bigger fish only a bring it up a few feet off the bottom...thats when most bass will hit your jig too...other then that you can catch the blues all the way to the surface..mix it up a lil

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
nivekelly wrote:
… why not any tubes? NiveKelly (Lime Green FnD) ..

NiveKelly,
Tubes works fine specially when there is a "sandeel" or "spearing" feed! ;)

dabomb4810 wrote:
diamond jigs with tubes in my experience sometimes out fish regular diamond jigs...i found that the dark blood red tube works the best...but you dont need tubes

If there are sandeel or Spearing presence… I'll use tubes.
If there are peanut bunkers or small anchovies… I switch to cripple herring or a small tin.
If there are herring around… a plain diamond jig will out fish a tube.

I've also found that large bluefish are like big bass… they are lethargic and will scrounge around for the leftovers.

Cvis300 wrote:
On the subject of diamond jigging from a boat in let's say 40' of water... do I retrieve the jig to the top or try to match the retrieve to the depth of the fish in the water column? Is the retrieve constant or jerky? What's the best technique?
It's always good to try different retrieving variations… but I usually like to do a fast retrieve (for blues only) with sudden stops…and retrieve up to the top. You will be surprised to know how ferocious these choppers can be especially when they strike your jig just before raising for another cast. ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.