NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for some jig hooks. The hooks i am looking at at the mustad southern tuna hooks, i use them for my tuna jigs. but....i need an after market hook that does not cost as much. The reason for this is that i plan on losing alot of jigs so i dont want to put too much cost into the jig.

Any input is appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Best kept secret in big game hooks.

The EC Titans, also marketed as Penn brand big game hooks are dirt cheap. You'll need about 30lb of drag to drive them in past the barb, and the tin finished once need to be sharpened before use. The red finished once are good out of the box. They also have a huge eye that will accomdate the biggest of split rings, and I've had success prying them open to admit a jig ring or a swivel, and closing them again in a vice.

This post edited by FishWisher 07:05 PM 01/03/2008

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i noticed those on a web site. thanks for the input. i was going to buy them but i like to pick something us with my hands and get a good look at it. That is why i posted so i can get some info.

thanks

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hahaha.... all is well with pepsi. the corporate america thing is brutal. hope your season went well there was some good fishing this summer.

the reason i need the hooks is for my vaca. i am going to texas in feb with dave from the HH and we have a box of after market diamonds and we need some hooks that will be able to take a beating. Plus will will prob lose alot to kingfish.

This post edited by bottombouncer 08:46 PM 01/03/2008

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Bring bunch of cheap diamond/hammered diamond jigs.
You are going to lose lots of jig if you target kingfish.
I still don't understand why I don't feel anything when kingfish cut leader lines of my jigs. :rolleyes: Not a slight bump at all.

·
Registered
601 Posts
KILSONG wrote:
Bring bunch of cheap diamond/hammered diamond jigs.
You are going to lose lots of jig if you target kingfish.
I still don't understand why I don't feel anything when kingfish cut leader lines of my jigs. :rolleyes: Not a slight bump at all.

when we had barracude everywhere i had the same thing a few times. i think they hit the jig as it was on the way down.

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
bretabaker when we had barracude everywhere i had the same thing a few times. i think they hit the jig as it was on the way down. [/quote said:
When they hit jigs on the way down, you can feel it as I usually control lines on the way down.

·
Registered
336 Posts
That Penn hook looks like it has the shape of the Owner Gorilla live bait hook. I have a chance to buy about 500 of the Gorilla's at 40% off. 3/0 to 6/0. Sporting Goods store closing. Would I be wasting my money? I only normally run through a dozen gorilla's a season. I was thinking of making assist hooks out of them.

Kings are jig stealers, that's for sure. If I am targeting kings, I use a 4 foot pc of SS piano wire. Do any of you guys jig on the drop? I like to stop about every 40 feet for a quick jerk before letting it drop again. Sometimes it works.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Opening and Closing Hooks?

I have never opened and closed a hook to get it around a jig ring. is this a common practice? I mean, i guess you have to get them on there somehow but my materials science and engineering classes def. taught me that bending and rebending steel will DRASTICALLY reduce the strength of the metal, especially if done multiple times on the same hook. Same concept as bending a paper clip back and forth to break it. Just curious if anyone has had any bad experiences doing this.
Thanks,
Chase

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Nah, the EC big game hooks are nothing like Owner Gorillas. The 6/0 Gorillas make great assist hooks for slimmer jigs. Using them to fish bait - even at 40% off - is a waste of money, especially in the king/cuda/shark infested waters. The 4x EC/Penn red circle hooks are much better suited and priced for that purpose.

I'm sure opening and closing a hook's eye doesn't improve its structural integrity any, but I can live with that knowledge. The eye of the hook sees the least stress when you pull on it - there is no leverage there. I've caught my biggest tuna to date on an 8/0 swivelled Super Mutu that underwent this procedure.

·
Registered
336 Posts
FishWisher wrote:
The EC Titans, also marketed as Penn brand big game hooks are dirt cheap. You'll need about 30lb of drag to drive them in past the barb, and the tin finished once need to be sharpened before use. The red finished once are good out of the box. .

You must be a rich man there FishWisher. I can't find the Penn big game red hooks under 13.00 for 10 hooks (7/0). 1.30 a hook isn't a dirt cheap hook. Us poor boys have to shop our tackle. I'll stick with Owner's for that price. Doesn't Eagle Claw make these hooks for Penn?

I can now buy at a store going out of business, owner 7/0 gorilla's, for .31 each. That's four times cheaper for a better hook. I'm looking forward to your sarcastic remark.:)

This post edited by mrbill1 03:11 PM 01/06/2008

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Heh. Bill, if I had your money, I'd burn mine. :) Thirteen bucks for those hooks is a shameless rip off. The retail is $9.99 for a ten pack, and Cabela's was blowing them out for half that a while ago in their "bargain cave", which is how I got mine. And yes, EC makes them for Penn. I may have said that about fifteen times on this thread already.

Edit - I just realized you may have been talking about the EC 4x circle hooks. Those go for $9.99 per 25 in sizes up to 7/0, and per 20 in 8/0 and 9/0. The expensive ones are the chunk hooks, starting at 13/0 - they are priced the same as the big game hooks, ten for ten.

Owner Gorillas and EC Titans are really not comparable - Gorillas are a heavy live bait hook, the EC's are a traditional big game hook. The guy who started this thread wanted a big game hook better priced than the Mustads he was using, so I brought them up. A 7/0 Gorilla is about three times smaller than a 7/0 EC. The EC's are made for rigging trolling lures, as far as I can tell. They also use them for two hook kite rigs on the Excel, because the large eyes on these hooks easily admit two 300lb loops with chafing gear. But mostly because EC sponsors the boat, I'm sure.

This post edited by FishWisher 03:26 PM 01/06/2008

·
Registered
336 Posts
Charkbait is where I got the price of 13.00 for ten of the 7/0 big game hooks in red. I realize the gorilla's are a smaller live bait hook. I think they might work well for assist hooks of jigs. I have a chance to buy around a thousand of them for .31ea. I think it's a great buy.

I rig up marlin trolling lures all the time. If I had a dollar for every one I rigged over the past 20 years, I'd almost have as much money in my banking account as you.
(Pen intended) LMFAO

·
Registered
336 Posts
I haven't bought them yet. Further discounts next week. Mainly bass fishermen go to this store. I don't see them flying off the shelf. I already wiped them out of hammered hopkin's no=eql 6 oz and 4 oz.
6oz were 3.47, 4 oz were 3.12. I also bought all the diamond jigs and all mutu and super mutu's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.